Re: Major, minor dominant, whats all that about

"Stephen Calder" <calder9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
jimmy wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:59:45 -0400, Paul P <a@xxxxx> wrote:

Not at all sure if we're answering the question but he's some
stuff I find interesting :

Take the C major scale :

C D E F G A B C (D E F G A B C)

Group things by thirds (every other note).

Three notes, making triads :

Notes Chord

C E G C
D F A Dm
E G B Em
F A C F
G B D G
A C E Am
B D F (Bdim)

Four notes (still by thirds, ie, every other note) :

Notes Chord

C E G B Cmaj7
D F A C Dm7
E G B D Em7
F A C E Fmaj7
G B D F G7
A C E G Am7
B D F A ?

Can you call the G7 above a Gmaj7? I'm no expert but it seems
more
consistent if I'm correct.

No. The G7 is a chord in the key of C major, hence it contains
notes in the key of C. The seventh is the F (actually a
flattened seventh based on the root scale of G).

The Gmaj7 is a chord in the key of G and has the F# instead of
F.

As the 1 and 4 chords of the major scale are Maj7 chords, GMaj7
can be the 1 chord in G major, and the 4 chord in D Major.

It may not seem consistent but in fact the G7 (dominant
seventh), although it seems to be an odd man out, is in fact
one of the most important chords in the key of C.

The B-D-F-A chord, by the way, is a B half diminished, or
Bm7b5, also unique in that B is the only note in the key of C
that generates a diminished chord when you take every second
note of the scale.

Only as a triad. Not a 7th chord.

  • Re: Harmonized half whole diminished.
    ... and minor scales) the W/H diminished scale. ... *other* chord within your resultants will produce your H/W diminished ... your staff-built voicing will give you another diminished chord a half ... the bottom of the staff generated voicing. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Just do a Diminished Scale over Dm7flat5 to G7flat9??
    ... You'll notice that it sounds best if you use enclosures to setup a note in the chord you're approaching. ... Most people hear it as a fairly exotic sound on Dm7b5, ... The harmonic minor scale, although often referred to as a "diatonic scale" really isn't a diatonic scale. ... But the way you've phrased it it appears to be a logically skewed way of representing the relationship between the phrygian scale and min7 chords. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Note function
    ... Its called exotic scales - New horizons for jazz improve by Befumo. ... Although the more standardized way to do the scale name would be "locrian ... But when we use B superlocrian melodically on a B7alt chord (as the B ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • Re: Improvising on mi ii V i
    ... In most classical analysis texts ii means a minor triad built on scale ... I (a C chord in C major). ... C nat min C harm min C nat min ... If you play it in 1/8 notes and start on C Eb G or Bb then you'll always have strong notes on strong beats when playing over Cm7 or Eb6. ...
    (rec.music.makers.jazz)