Re: Issues With Rhythm

Hello I'm back regarding "baby, let me follow you down"

I've been using this video as reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3vjVnl9i7M

But I've followed the advice I had earlier (se below) but I'm nowhere near it at the minute. I know this isn't a difficult song to play, what is frustrating for you is that I can't grasp it. What is frustrating for me is that I play the more cemplex bit (the chords) no problem, the basic rhythm and (if there is any picking in there) I can't figure out what it is.

Anyway, humour me. All help greatly appreciated. This is the mp3 I made of me messing about with it. I broke down to it's most basic level, as instructed. Hell you can even here me counting!

http://geordiekid.googlepages.com/1.mp3

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't know the song but here's one guy playing it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3vjVnl9i7M

When I'm learning a song that has the rhythm in between the beats I
slow it way down and count (I prefer to tap my foot) in such a way
as to have counts/taps where needed in between the main beats. When
I can do that well I'll try to play it while tapping the main beat.
Only whenI can do such a rhythm in my sleep do I have a chance of
singing on top of it.

I find it helps a lot to have a recording that you can play along
with.

=========================

First of all, I suggest you ignore the bass notes in your chord chart
for now. I'm talking about the lower case notes to the right of the
slash. I don't think Dylan plays them, and they're not that important
that this stage. They are just adding an extra layer of complexity.

I suggest you set the metronome for a slowish tempo, say 90 - 100
beats/min. On your chart, the chord name and dot all represent one
beat, or one click of the metronome. There are four beats in each
measure. There are for beats of each chord in some measures, and two
beats of each chord in other measures.

You can start out with exactly one strum for each beat, that is
coincide exactly one strum for each click of the metronome. So, in this
example, strum G four times, then F four times, then C four time, then
Eb four times. Then for the next line, strum G two times, D two time, C
two times, and so on. Keep it simple and strum once only for each click
of the metronome.

If it still seems too fast, you can slow the metronome down a little.
If you can't quite grab a chord in time, don't worry about it, let it
go and catch the next chord in line. Try to keep up with the metronome,
don't stop if you make a mistake.

Once you get it down better at a slow tempo, you can increase the
metronome speed gradually. I've heard some of Dylan's versions where he
plays it at a pretty bright tempo, maybe 130 bmp or so, so maybe that
can be a goal.

I know that exactly one strum per beat may seem a little stilted and
machinelike, but try to keep it simple until you feel comfortable with
it. Once you get that simple thing down, you can consider being more
free with the strum patterns.

  • Re: I cant teach adults! (rant)
    ... please play along with the metronome and synch to it with ... changed your chord early missing a quaver, ... the song a "lift" is that right? ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Issues With Rhythm
    ... strumming is always out of sync with the beat. ... As suggested I tried using a metronome, I use the one below but it ... I suggest you ignore the bass notes in your chord chart ... You can start out with exactly one strum for each beat, ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Learning the chords?
    ... play the guitar if you want...... ... let me repeat that strum in a CONSTANT pattern. ... Play the E chord. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: I cant teach adults! (rant)
    ... please play along with the metronome and synch to it with ... changed your chord early missing a quaver, ... the pub has a formula for a pop song where you change the key to give ...