Re: Great difficulties with barring

Seeker wrote:
I've been playing for about 10 months and I still can't barre
properly. My finger is fat on the part closest to the palm so when I
try to flat barre the 3rd string (which falls after the fat part)
won't sound. Sometimes it does but it has to be perfectly aligned and
the string should not be played very hard.

I don't think it has anything to do with my fingers' strength because
I've practiced long enough.

This is getting bery frustrating and I really don't think it's the
guitar's fault or that I don't practice enough, I think it's in the
shape of my fingers. Any thoughts/help?

I'm going to guess it's got nothing to do with the size of your
fingers. Barre-ing is more technique than anything else, although
you'll need to build up a little endurance if you want to play songs
with lots of barres in them, I tend to stay away from those songs (or
play variations of the barre chords) cause I have whimpy hands.

Maybe schedule a lesson and have someone sit down with you and show you
the proper technique.

For me it was one of those things that was frustrating until one day it
just seemed to click.

Something else to consider would be the setup of your guitar. A
properly setup guitar is easier to play than one that isn't.

  • Re: Teaching an old dog new tricks
    ... If you use dropped D tuning, the ole six string barres become much easier - ... which is much easier on the fingers. ... You are actually doing a partial barre when you ... I've played an "F" chord the lazy way.... ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Fingering consecutive notes on t adjacent strings at the same fret
    ... Mike C. wrote: ... > note is the G on the same fret, 5th string. ... I always thought using a barre was the way to ... is slow enough I'll take the time to use 2 fingers, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • A good read...long, but good
    ... So what is really going through the mind of someone like me, ... YOU BEND the string. ... s impossible to hit a WRONG note, because it's my gig, and my song. ... had been the 10th show in a row, my fingers would have dealt with it better. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Safe Exercises For the Pinky and the 3rd Finger of the LH
    ... But try this out- triplet slurs using the 3rd and 4th fingers across ... the neck and back, alternating direction from string to string i.e., ... The energy level applied to initiate a sound solely by ... receiving a downward slur can back off in energy level during the life ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: To plant or not to plant... roll call!
    ... Touch-Push(Move the string in towards the soundboard)-Release ... fingers to feel it we worked on staccato passages where the fingers ... Planting seems to indicate something stopping but nothing stops at ... "Eventually this preparation will be eliminated and the fingers will ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)