Re: Practicing pentatonic scales

Kernix wrote:
Greg Cisko wrote:

Yes me too. It is great. I even have a question :-) Are the different
modes like Dorian only associated with one shape/pattern? Like
Dorian with the D shape and Aeolian G shape?

Hint: the minor pent shapes are a "skeleton" version of the Dorian,
Phrygian, and Aeolian modes; the major pent shapes are "skeleton"
versions of the Ionian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes. Locrian is a
monster in and of itself.

Point being: the minor and major pentatonic scales (which are modes of
the same scale BTW) are so crucial because besides being good scales to
use in their own right, they also serve as a further way to
visualize/memorize the major scale modes.

Thanks for the explaination. I have read it 3 times :-) I think the
answer
to my quesiton is more YES than NO... I do get your point of how many
pent patterns can fit into each mode. However my main focus is in
relating
the pent scale to these modes. So I am looking at the shapes of the 5
pent patterns and seeing how they relate to the 5 different modes.

--
gcisko@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Improvising over a Coltrane II V I variation...
    ... > That one works by dividing the 12 tone scale into 2 equal divisions. ... > The whole tone scale is a sequence of maj 2nd intervals moving in maj ... > On the V-I sections in Ab maj use Eb maj pent. ... > On the min7 chords use the min pent scale from the root, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Improvising over a Coltrane II V I variation...
    ... That one works by dividing the 12 tone scale into 2 equal divisions. ... The whole tone scale is a sequence of maj 2nd intervals moving in maj ... Your idea of trying to keep all of the non chord tones from the C maj ... On the V-I sections in Ab maj use Eb maj pent. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Scale over a specific chord progression
    ... I can't find the scale that would fit to it. ... my original choices follow the path of least resistance (i.e. we don't change any notes in the original pitch collection unless we have to accommodate the notes in a new chord) and are probably the overall "strongest" scale choices. ... Yet there's still some harmonic ambiguities involved in this progression. ... A B C# E F# - the A maj pent scale. ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • Re: Real beginner
    ... Tony Done wrote: ... ....once upon a time I thought all I could play was a major pent scale...then it turned out that what I'd been playing all along was minor, and I couldn't play major pent at all... ... Knowing this, during improv you can shift your pent based lead from minor to major and back any time you're up the scale in the 2nd position minor, and return to that octave root at the change to get back to the top, or for a turn around...at least, that's what I do. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Scales: confusing
    ... So instead of playing C maj pent over a whole progression in C (say C, ... I have listed the chord type, what substitute scale you can use, the ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)