Re: ? about pentatonics

hi,
RockaBilly schrieb:

> I know pentatonic means 5 notes so you omit 2 notes for the scale.

you mean the major skale / natural minor scale. the most well known
pentatonic scale are the major and the minor pentatonic scale
ie
C major pentatonic = C D E G A ( the A minor pentatonic = A C D E G has
the same notes)
C minor scale = C Eb F G Bb ( same as Eb major pentatonic)
so your sentence is true for these two most well known pentatonic
scales. and maybe for a lot of other pentatonic scales.
but every scale with 5 notes is a pentatonic scale.( just my 2
cents) ( i think some guys are saying that a pentatonic scale should not
have a half-ton step) when we are talking about pentatonic scale we
often talking about only the major pentatonic scale and the minor
pentatonic scale.
but there are a lot of other pentatonic scale. some are sounding
indian, arabic, ........ and you can invent your own pentationic scales,
too.
C D E G Bb is also a pentatonic scale. sound bluesy. has not really a
name, but many player use it. or
C Eb F G A is also a pentatonic scale. has not really a name. or
C Eb F F# Bb is also bluesy, .............

> I know of
> omitting II-VI and

A natural minor scale = A B C D E F G A omitting II and VI is
A minor pentatonic scale = A C D E G

> IV VII (case not matter)

C major scale = C D E F G A B C omitting IV and VII is
C major pentatonic scale = C D E G A

> but is there a pent scale that
> omitted III-VI?

C major scale = C D E F G A B C omitting III and VI is
C D F G B i would call this a pentatonic scale, too. but some guys are
saying B-C is a half tone step and this does not sound like a pentatonic
scale.

A natural minor scale = A B C D E F G A omitting III and VI is
A B D E G i would call this a pentatonic scale, too.
btw. this A B D E G are the same notes as the G major pentatonic scale.
and also the E minor pentatonic scale

G major scale = G A B C D E F# G omitting IV and VII is
G major pentatonic scale = G A B D E

E natural minor scale = E F# G A B C D omitting II and VI is
E minor pentatonic scale = E G A B D

> Another question, the major pent will be root on the 6th string and
> the
> minor pent the 6th on the sixth string. Right?

ie the root of the C pentatonic scale ( minor or major ) is the note C.
there is the note C on the E-string, on the A-string, on the D-string,
...... of the guitar. so there are many patterns for the major/minor
pentatonic scale: here are some: r is the root:

major pentatonic
E |-r-|---|-x-|---|-x-|
B |---|---|-x-|---|---|
G |---|-x-|---|---|-x-|
D |---|---|-r-|---|-x-|
A |---|---|-x-|---|-x-|
E |-r-|---|-x-|---|-x-|

minor pentatonic:
E |-r-|---|---|-x-|---|
B |-x-|---|---|-x-|---|
G |-x-|---|-x-|---|---|
D |-x-|---|-r-|---|---|
A |-x-|---|-x-|---|---|
E |-r-|---|---|-x-|---|

major pentatonic
E |-x-|---|-x-|---|---|
B |---|---|-x-|---|---|
G |---|---|-r-|---|-x-|
D |---|---|-x-|---|-x-|
A |-r-|---|-x-|---|-x-|
E |-x-|---|-x-|---|---|

minor pentatonic
E |-x-|---|---|-x-|---|
B |---|-x-|---|-x-|---|
G |-x-|---|-r-|---|---|
D |-x-|---|-x-|---|---|
A |-r-|---|---|-x-|---|
E |-x-|---|---|-x-|---|
..................... i hope i made no mistake,
nice day
thomas

  • Re: Mouths of Horses
    ... "Modes of the diatonic scale". ... E aeolean (normal E natural minor scale) ... For a given root note ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Yet another drum mic question
    ... C dim is a C7 chord where everything except the root is flatted. ... of the harmonic minor scale. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Guitar Solo
    ... Most guys learn a couple of scale ... Arpeggios are single note patterns that just include the chord tones ... Triads are going to include the root, ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: A "key-centred" approach to jazz improv - My take
    ... the chord or some other note. ... major scale associated with that key will be the ... nat harm nat nat nat harm nat ... that the remaining 2 notes in the scale (b2 above the root and b6 above ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • A "key-centred" approach to jazz improv - My take
    ... So a key-based approach will be an approach that tries to always be aware of the active key and to use scale choices for both melody and harmony that are based on the tonic of the key rather than the root of the chord or some other note. ... This is a bit more complicated in minor keys, since minor keys are traditionally constructed around 3 scales (nat, harm, and mel min), but as long as a progression uses only chords that are diatonic to these 3 scales, the process of identifying the active scale built on the tonic of the key will be sound. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)