Re: Distortion

Nil wrote:
On 07 Oct 2005, Tony Meloche <bombarde@xxxxxxx> wrote in news:1128729479_123299@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

I guess I'm not sure why you would *want* a distortion pedal with a tube amp, but if sweet, natural tube overdrive distortion isn't enough distortion for you, you probably want a heavy-metal distortion.

Seems to me there are plenty of other flavors of distortion besides and beyond "natural tube overdrive" and "heavy metal". Among other things, pedals can help you spikey-up a too-smooth overdrive and to dirty-up a clean tone.

Boss has a nice chart that summarizes what
their various distortion pedals offer at:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/SD-1/images/intro_R_L.jpg

Based on this chart, it would appear that the SD-1, OD-3, and
the BD-2 provide tube-like distortions, while the OS-2
starts to cross into the "Rough" zone; the other two
quadrants (Metal: Rough and Smooth) cover most other sounds.

Its kind of amusing that there is virtually nothing
in the Rough & Natural zone.

Warren.

  • Re: Distortion
    ... a tube amp, but if sweet, natural tube overdrive distortion isn't enough distortion for you, you probably want a heavy-metal distortion. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Guitars tuned to B? (was Re: Pure Nickel Strings... love em)
    ... Bobby Owsinksi wrote a couple on ... distortion that can deal with the low notes without farting out. ... tube amp power stage overload). ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: EL34 in triode mode with un-bypassed cathode resistors
    ... tube amp based around the iron from a Sansui 1000A, ... The OPTs are not UL, ... Bypassed the same scheme produced 19 watts but at 1.8% distortion - more ... To put it in simpler terms, not bypassing the cathode resistor gives you ...
    (rec.audio.tubes)
  • Re: What exactly is a "booster pedal"?
    ... A clean boost is used to overdrive the front end of a tube amp. ... An "overdrive pedal" mimics the distortion of an overdriven amp. ... Rely on them as your only tone, in front of a sterile SS amp, and your ... Damn, Jim, you're starting to sound like me with the dirt pedals now. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)