Re: Electrical Question #2

On Dec 28, 4:39 pm, JustWait <justwaitafrekinmin...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/28/2011 5:25 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

It's also worth noting that the house is 80 years old, and had a new
panel installed about 20 years ago, followed by significant electrical
work about 10 years ago when we put an addition onto the back of the
house.  It's perfectly possible that, e.g., we could reverse wire just
the new construction in the house, or just the original wiring, or maybe
both, all without using the garage circuits, and I'm sure there are
other combinations that might or might not work.  The electrician who
handled the new construction also rewired to the garage, and he was
distinctly unimpressive as both electrician and human, so I wouldn't
rule out the possibility that just sticking with the original house
circuits might work.

-S-

Yeah, the house I live in is a bit over a hundred years old. I learned
to do all my wiring when we bought it and it had Knob and Tube. My FIL
was owed decades of favors so a Licenced company came in with two guys,
my fil and I, and we did the whole house in two weeks... I would wonder
what kind of box he used for the furnace, and if it disconnects the main
ground. Mine does, but my furnace is older and doesn't have the third
wire to the box so I undo both the white and black at the switch box on
the side of the unit and feed it from there...-

There should not be any white wires in the switch box.
It is illegal and dangerous to switch a neutral.

Pt

  • Re: Great open barrel crimper for Molex terminals
    ... I paid an electrician to install the CAT5e cable ... I've pulled my share of wire over the years, ... wireless LANs rarely achieve anything like the capacity ... house across the street and down one house -- using circular waveguide ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Electrical Advice...
    ... The generator will be approximately 50 to 60 feet away from the house ... One of the contractors under consideration wants to use aluminum wire, ... He be best to get a qualified electrician that knows the ... I have no intention of installing a 17KW or 20KW generator at the house. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: 3-way switches -- old house wiring
    ... wiring in the house is old, and it is either knob and tube wiring or ... that I can't tell what is a white wire and what is a black wire etc. ... Switch 1, turn on lights A and B. ... When I bought my house, the front hall was miswired so one switch only ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Electrical Advice...
    ... The generator will be approximately 50 to 60 feet away from the house ... One of the contractors under consideration wants to use aluminum wire, ... inspection or at least a licensed electrician. ... tube from the knife switch above on the floor joist, ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: finding a buried A/C cable
    ... It is hooked to a switch in the house, ... a wire is no problem. ... It might be near the switch. ... I'd like to know what detector costs $20.00, ...
    (alt.home.repair)