Re: Another new Gibson bass?

On 5/30/2011 5:54 PM, Derek Tearne wrote:
Jim Carr<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm just wondering why the marketing materials didn't compare it to a
Fender. And why nobody made any comments about Fender. I'm just naive, I
guess.

You're wondering why Gibson's marketing materials don't contain a
comparison to Fender? Seriously?

Isn't that marketing 101? Don't mention your competitors, especially if
they are leaving you behind (and have been doing so for 60+ years).

Companies mention competitors quite frequently. Some do it by name while others refer to the "leading brand" or others in its class. Hell, some do one versus the other tests.

And, as I pointed out in the other post, somebody did make a comment
comparing Gibson to Fender. It's one of the early ones.

"when it comes to bass, so we imagine a Fender ... there's no denying!
is nice ... but I would not buy!"

Were you ignoring it because it is in Portugese? Or because it exactly
reinforces Gary's point.

I ignored it because it wasn't in English.