Re: Another new Gibson bass?

On 5/30/2011 5:54 PM, Derek Tearne wrote:
Jim Carr<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm just wondering why the marketing materials didn't compare it to a
Fender. And why nobody made any comments about Fender. I'm just naive, I
guess.

You're wondering why Gibson's marketing materials don't contain a
comparison to Fender? Seriously?

Isn't that marketing 101? Don't mention your competitors, especially if
they are leaving you behind (and have been doing so for 60+ years).

Companies mention competitors quite frequently. Some do it by name while others refer to the "leading brand" or others in its class. Hell, some do one versus the other tests.

And, as I pointed out in the other post, somebody did make a comment
comparing Gibson to Fender. It's one of the early ones.

"when it comes to bass, so we imagine a Fender ... there's no denying!
is nice ... but I would not buy!"

Were you ignoring it because it is in Portugese? Or because it exactly
reinforces Gary's point.

I ignored it because it wasn't in English.

  • Re: Craigslist post for Jazz guitar and an answer. (not from me but on point)
    ... be quite easy to sell prime ad space to the main competitors of the ... willing to pay more to piss on the carpet of their rival than the ... When the horrified party planner sees the Fender logo at her Gibson ... When she offers to pay the original fee you quoted, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: I hate Murphy
    ... attach to the forks with hose clamps or something? ... Back in the old days NOBODY had a front fender and that's the way we LIKED it... ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • Re: Date of strat?
    ... It looks great and plays well. ... nobody seems to know how old it is. ... can't seem to figure out which year this pertains to. ... Besides the solid rosewood Tele Leo Fender made and gave to George ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Dead fret
    ... I've never played Fender basses. ... this 'dead spot' phenomena is reading about it on this newsgroup. ... I think one of my basses has a 'live' spot, but no 'dead' spots as far ... Derek Tearne - derek@xxxxxxxxx ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)