Re: Monk Montgomery

Jim Carr wrote:
On 5/28/2011 12:43 PM, Les Cargill wrote:

But they are. And not just any Fender. A Fender P.

There's just no comparison between a Fender and
(say) a Rick 4001 or a Spector Euro.

No, there is not. I've tried on multiple occasions just to
sub. in a Jazz, a Peavey Millenium and an OLP MM copy,
and was asked politely to get the dadgum P back on.

Then I suggest you need to get out more.

If *you can read*, you will notice that what I am saying
is based very much on "being out." With people and stuff.

That's what "asked politely to get the dadgum P back on"
means in the English language.
<http://www.movietrailerreviews.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/pulp_fiction_sam.gif>

It does not mean going to Guitar Center and exercising
teh credit card. Guitar Center is for when you know what
you want and nobody else has it.

I have been out plenty. This over a span of over thirty
years. I am relaying actual requests from actual musicians
in the same room with me.

It's more amusing than anything - a variation on the producer
saying "let's try that with the P bass".

And it should be clear that there's sampling bias in what
I am saying - a different set of musicians might have reacted
differently. But somehow, a common theme emerges. It's
literally a cliche.

"The instruments" appear to have less utility than the lowly
P in my experience.

I can make my Spector Euro sound like all sorts of basses.

I don't need "all sorts of basses" - I need the one. Song
to song sound variations are managed by amp EQ ( mainly
the contour knob ) and by my right hand.

Hey, if them fancy things work for you, great. They do not
work for me. They also don't work for abotu half the people I
see on Austin City Limits or other live music programs.

--
Les Cargill

.