Re: Words of wisdom..

On Apr 21, 11:30 am, de...@xxxxxxxxx (Derek Tearne) wrote:
bassman2 <vince_angelon...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Interesting...I read somewhere of sessions with "hardened" jazz
musicians where the "form" was totally out the door and it was all
about improvizing there and then..
Puzzling concept, but truly amazing if you can pull it off!

I don't know of these 'hardened jazz musicians' of which you speak, but
what you' seem to be describing is non-idiomatic improvisation -
although you might actually mean 'free jazz' which is a rather more
constrained form of improvisation (in that one has to remain
idiomatically jazz while improvising 'freely').

Non-idiomatic improvisation is not any form of jazz, and isn't
necessarily performed by 'jazz musicians'.

We do this kind of thing regularly - every monday night.

http://www.vitamin-s.co.nz/about.php

Some youtube clips.

http://vitamin-s.co.nz/vittube.php

Well, sometimes you start one thread and you end up with something
completely out of left field! As Les mentions, it is intriguing, what
sort of audience reaction do you normally get?
In so far as OP, you are right, I was thinking along the lines of free
jazz rather the non-idiomatic, but there you go, I have learned
something new - thanks for sharing. Your musical interests certainly
span across a very wide plane.

  • Re: Jazz Brain Study
    ... Subject: jazz brain study ... In Jazz Improv, Large Portion Of Brain's Prefrontal Region 'Takes 5' To ... six highly trained jazz musicians played the keyboard ... improvisation, musically speaking," said Limb. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Jazzed up brain imagery - but nothing really surprising?
    ... This Is Your Brain On Jazz: Researchers Use MRI To Study Spontaneity, ... It appears, they conclude, that jazz musicians create their unique ... state jazz artists enter during spontaneous improvisation. ...
    (uk.philosophy.humanism)
  • Re: Who did Charlie Christian copy?
    ... as having anything to do with important aspects of jazz. ... with the evolution of bop. ... harmonic cadences of the underlying song form. ... strong sense of forward motion in the improvisation. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: interesting dissertation on thinking in jazz
    ... improvisation. ... I recorded several jazz performers including Darol Anger and Rufus ... The solo transcriptions are included in the dissertation starting on ... recorded 7 different jazz players playing solos over a blues and then ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Jazz Workshop Germany/Pfalz Christian Eckert
    ... Stücke, Improvisation und Aufbau ... Studium in den Niederlanden und New York, ... Preisträgerin der "European Jazz ... auf das Konto des Kulturvereins Freinsheim ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)