Re: Using a pick on your eb

Steve Freides <steve@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today, for the first time, a new student (was his third lesson) asked
me about using a pick. I said I'd used them my whole life on guitar
but never on bass.

Care to give me a primer? I know I've seen a few really good players
use a pick but have no clue about size, material, etc., compared to
guitar picks.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

I have an pick assortment of all sorts of sizes and shapes, but lately I've
converged on using these for both guitar and bass:

http://www.promusicparts.com/servlet/the-1074/Snarling-Dog-.73-Brain/Detail

I use my fingertips about 2/3 of the time and picks about 1/3 of the time on
bass. JoeSpare mentioned that bit about Squire about holding the pick so
that only a small portion of it is exposed. I never saw that reference
before, but I do hold my pick that way, so I can engage thumb or finger
flesh to dull the attack (or not, depending on what sound I'm looking for).
Gripping that far up on the pick, the smaller gauge (0.73 mm) doesn't really
come into play. I'm used to gripping picks that way for guitar anyways, so
I can easily get pinch harmonics.

  • Paul explains it all...
    ... Paul talks about his guitar and bass guitar ... who my favorite bass player was, I would say, "That Motown guy. ... L.A. I'm a cheap sort, ...
    (rec.music.beatles)
  • Re: Newbie to the group Introduction
    ... I've been playing guitar and bass since the 80's. ... Along the way, taught my self to play piano and keyboards, learned about ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: new soundclip
    ... Bass sound is wrong, ... asked them to mic the guitar and bass however they normally would and ... then put my mics in there also. ... Tenor was on a U87 in the booth. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: How I started playing guitar....long
    ... I did and still do love the Andrews sisters songs. ... an old Harmony acoustic guitar with a huge crack in the top and 3 ... I took that thing every where I went and spent hours learning to play ... Two guitars, bass, sax and drums. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Bass Convert Needs a Clue!
    ... play bass because it sort of looks like a guitar and the strings are ... pitched similar than the low strings on your guitar. ... drums and rhythm guitar form the ... A good place to start playing bass is by what bass players ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)