Re: Difference between vintage and new basses

On Jan 22, 2:32 am, Richard Smol <richard.s...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 20, 9:54 pm, bassman2 <vince_angelon...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

what makes buying a vintage bass, viz:

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-1966-fender-precision-bass-candy-apple-re...

for some, preferable to investing in a NEW instrument? I can
understand the diffential with classical instruments but in the case
of electric does it come down to the quality of the parts used, the
craftsmanship more so than the actual sound itself? Is there enough to
be said for a new bass as there is for a vintage instrument?

Well, wood does "ripen" somewhat with age, with some instruments more
noticeably than with others. The instrument you link is a collector's
item though, which explains its price. I wonder whether it would be
better than any other well-constructed instrument. In any case, I
don't find  vintage instruments better than modern well-built ones.

RS

It's been a long time since we've seen your name pop up in AGB, Mr.
Smol. How have you been getting along?

Mike

  • Re: Imported Trumpets
    ... pure as driven snow in the competitive market of selling Chinese junk. ... Navy issue instruments that were boldly engraved with "Property Of The ... all have equal potential to execute good quality. ...
    (rec.music.makers.trumpet)
  • Re: Mexican Strats
    ... Luthiers make instruments. ... There aren't many luthiers posting here. ... in quality between a USA Strat and a Mexican ... Strat, it's not the sort of thing you should be ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: FEnder Road Worn basses
    ... the cumulative experience with Fender basses over decades. ... No oranges. ... That assumes that Fender's quality has retained the same level over the ... Relics are not like regular instruments, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: So many brands...
    ... is a $500 Ibanez or Samick REALLY that bad ... What the primary differences are between lower priced instruments (I ... the quality level of the electronic components. ... full sound that has all subtle details present in the sound (when ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: June 1613
    ... probably extended to all parts of the 'scope. ... That's true of so many scientific instruments made until ... Optically, Galileo's telescope was poor- not even an achromat, and it ... The optical quality was good. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)