Re: The forgotten art of melody

On Jan 19, 2:06 am, Richard Smol <richard.s...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paradoxically, not being able to play someone else's songs does not
automatically mean that you can't come up with your stuff. Writing
songs is simply hard and most people are not good at it. It has to do
with this uncontrollable, undefinable quality called "talent".

RS

Gotta disagree from personal observations.

Capable performers outnumber the capable
writers by orders of magnitude. From this, I
conclude that decent writing is a much more
elusive talent than decent performing ability.

Not being able to play certain material is not
a sign that one cannot write, since SOME
material may just not "hook" some players.
But a decent writer should certainly be able
to play other people material quit well when
that material is of the writer's prefered genre.

IOW, how can anyone do a decent job of
creating something which is destined to be
performed unless that creator is a decent
performer of such stuff ? And if one IS a
decent performer of such stuff, then one
would be capable of performing plenty of
[similar] material written by others.

  • Re: The forgotten art of melody
    ... songs is simply hard and most people are not good at it. ... writing is, as you said, "simply hard", since ... talent than decent performing ability. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: New one duly ripped (spoiler: Blues v Saracens)
    ... Chekaj did some decent things and it was a joy to see the Robinsons play together again, Jamie's presence seeming to lift Nicky's game. ... However - to be neutral for a mo' - the Blues still can't build a decent attack from phase play, ...
    (rec.sport.rugby.union)
  • Re: Loffred keeps job! - GP Spoilers!
    ... and sweep the reverse angle (classic AB play is to reverse on second ... could play full back and TV go to wing. ... It looks like JSD is going to have the shoulder op possibly before the ... So these Leicester boys will at least give some decent cover. ...
    (rec.sport.rugby.union)
  • Re: Opening night review: Salome at ROH (new McVicar production) 21st Feb 2008
    ... I'm performing Don Juan in a couple of weeks, and almost everyone, ... demanding scores calling for a lot of virtuosity from different ... Don Juan is a notoriously tricky piece. ... It's a terrific piece to play. ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: Acoustic Bass recommendations?
    ... that he wanted one to play around the house and yard and also be able to ... Based on my experience with an Ovation acoustic bass, ... If you're around any decent size population center, ... my solution to the inaudibility problem for my AEB was to buy a ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)