DB question

My teacher has pointed out that I "bounce" my bow on the strings when
playing, something she tells me is quite common when starting out.

She suggests practicing by slowing down the bowing action, are there
any other tips on how to gradually correct this? Also, I find that if
I use my index finger to "hook" the bow, I seem to have more control,
is this counterproductive in the long run? I use a French bow.

Much appreciated

  • Re: In an orchestral set up
    ... which depends I presume on musical/instrument ... playing around the chewing gum stuck to the page. ... wonderful bow, borrowed. ... Used to use black hair, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: fast win [YACD] patched V
    ... I've been playing Angband off and on since the mid-nineties, ... You use a bow, and get it up to +7 damage ASAP. ... The most important early spells are Bless and Detect Evil, ... them relatively easily as a priest. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Re: Possible Major GAS - Upright! And Questions!
    ... will start a whole new saga in your bass playing life. ... For strings, I'd start out ... The only other things you may want to get is a stand, and a bow quiver. ... > that has the bass now and he's looked it over closely. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Double bass technique question
    ... mirror) on the A and D strings but the wrist seems to naturally want ... to go a different direction (bow down on the G string and up and the E ... My bowing is the worst part of my upright bass playing, ... start every practice session by taking full-length bows in both ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: OT-Erhu Master (mostly for Gerry)
    ... I think the guy is playing different notes on the two strings. ... I've heard of it and assumed you just bow like a normal violin, ... I've posted these links at an erhu site. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)