Re: Why you should learn to read
- From: "Steve Freides" <steve@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:26:59 -0500
Jim Carr wrote:
Yes Jim. They should create charts so that on the off chance YOU
want to come and play, so it will be easy for YOU.
It's a joke, son, dontcha get it? I have said from Day One that if you
want to be a working pro, you need to learn to sight-read music.
Then again, there's a germ of truth to what I said.
Nah, I don't think there is. Arguing that anyone doesn't need to learn
how to read music is like arguing it's OK only to speak English but not
read and write it. Sure, plenty of people get by knowing only how to
speak English and not read and write it, but why on earth would anyone
want to be one of them, or somehow be proud of that fact? Proud of
achieving something even though one can't read, sure, but that's about
as far as the argument ought to go.
That literacy in the language of music can be rare does not give
credibility or support to illiteracy.
- Prev by Date: Re: Why you should learn to read
- Next by Date: Re: Why you should learn to read
- Previous by thread: Re: Why you should learn to read
- Next by thread: Re: Why you should learn to read