Re: Country Bass Picking

It should be pointed out that Jerry Reed, and Chet Atkins also I
believe, both used thumbpicks as opposed to holding a pick with their
thumb and finger. It's a small difference maybe, but using the
thumbpick does make it a little more closely related to regular
fingerpicking. In fact, when talking about hybrid picking, I think
people are usually referring to holding a pick and also using your
fingers - at least that's the first image that comes to my mind. I'm
not sure I've ever heard using a thumbpick ever referred to before as
hybrid picking, but there's a first time for everything.

  • Re: Thumbpick for rock guitar
    ... What kind do you use and do you find it easy to play riffs and strum ... I was using a Herco hybrid finger and thumbpick tonight and it's certainly ... could anyone name me some famous electric rock or blues guitarists ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Thumbpick adaptation
    ... I have been using natural nails and acrylics on natural nails for a little over forty years, ... there are times when I have wanted to use a thumbpick. ... I use a finger pick on my index finger, but of course that restricts that finger to upstrokes. ... The Propik thumb pick, which has a metal thumb band with a Delrin "blade" rivetted on is quite nice, and much easier to adjuct than most, but the Kelly Speedpick is the only one that I really feel comfortable with. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Playing single lines with a thumbpick
    ... and I'm curious whether most players who play this way reinforce the thumbpick with the index finger. ... I know of no one that plays single lines with thumbpick that doesn't close their index finger against that thumbpick. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: What are using for finger picks and thumb picks?
    ... I have used Dunlop 20 gauge finger picks for years and see there are ... who use acrylic nails. ... It was the only one that sounded like the natural nails on ... using a thumbpick. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Thumbpick adaptation
    ... I have been using natural nails and acrylics on natural nails for a little over forty years, ... there are times when I have wanted to use a thumbpick. ... After playing with that pick, on occasion, for a year or so, I tried a John Pearse thumbpick which had been modeled on the old National thumbpick. ... I use a finger pick on my index finger, but of course that restricts that finger to upstrokes. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)