Re: Boot this guitarist?

"Jim Carr" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:rRyAk.9105$PS3.5395@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Auditioning for guitarists, posted 5 songs online. Got 10 responses. Two
of them asked what keys we play the songs in, which was a good question,
since I neglected to mention it in the email directing them to the link.
I replied & told them we play the songs in their original keys. No
further information. Both replied with "Yeah, but what key are they in?"

Jettison these two guys? We're talking about basic blues & swing stuff.
The rest of the band thinks I should provide more info. I say "nonsense".

Hey, Joe, is this you?

http://www.myspace.com/touchlow

Could be!

  • Re: Whats your sight reading secret?
    ... One of the keys to your success is the part about practicing "4 hours". ... and play it at a speed of about 65 beats a minute - at first go. ... community songs, wartime songs, cowboy songs, songs from old musicals and ...
    (rec.music.makers.piano)
  • Re: Reading (was Some advice for Learnwell)
    ... Probably because it's necessary to be able to play with other instruments and so many standards are in keys such as Bb, Eb, Cmi, etc. - keys hardly ever found in CG repertoire? ... That's one reason, principally, to be able to play melodies no matter where you are on the instrument, no matter what instrument, grab the melody out of the air, as it were. ... They do this during their first semester, as part of ensemble - they spend one rehearsal per week in a reading class. ... I don't have any scale requirements, beyond the technical regime all undergraduate students go through - all students meet once a week every semester for guided technical practice, regardess of their technical level (even ththose who enter the program with good technique). ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: Quick Way to Find a Songs Key?
    ... When we started I learned a lot of songs in C, G, and D, and soon ... the keys have earned Most Favored Nation status and the others at ... But I think that learning to hear and play the various techniques I ... inexperienced player. ...
    (rec.music.makers.piano)
  • Re: Boot this guitarist?
    ... since I neglected to mention it in the email directing them to the link. ... replied & told them we play the songs in their original keys. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Curiosity about keys
    ... (In point of fact, I suspect Swedes'll play ... tunes getting sharper as latitude increases, but I fear you may have ... on the instruments they have, but also they get instruments that'll play ... things in different keys, the way you can with whistles and harmonicas, so ...
    (uk.music.folk)