Re: empty cabs

I've had some good luck, some bad going this route, Brian. I think
overall, you're correct. BUT... I'm not sure how cost effective it is
when you take a look at the Avatar route. I mean, seriously... $349
for a Baltic Birch cab, INCLUDING two 12" Neodymium drivers? That's a
pretty good deal, considering Parts Express sells the drivers for
about $100 each (maybe a bit more?). $149 for a finished cab that WAS
designed for the drivers inside? Seems cheap to me.

I agree 114%, absolutely. I only made that comment because I think we tend to believe that there will be horrible, horrible consequences if we just slap any ol' driver into any ol' cab. The very fact that the OP would consider doing that tells me he's more interested in practical expediency and less interested in technical excellence. I'm just sayin', heck yeah, it won't kill you if you try it.

Remember, my answer was to get out the Skilsaw and a straightedge and go ahead and make the cab yourself, and of course, you'd do that after applying the best available technology -- it doesn't cost you anything or delay you much to calculate your box and port sizes, when you're starting from scratch.

But you're right, with a company like Avatar out there, there's damned little reason to consider doing it yourself anymore -- assuming you're looking for an Avatar-equivalent cab in the end.

  • Re: empty cabs
    ... for a Baltic Birch cab, INCLUDING two 12" Neodymium drivers? ... Eden D410XLT's because I liked my Avatar cab so much! ... LOL ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Owl Taxi [OT]
    ... Since the taxi biz is being tossed around as an example of government regulation being used solely to limit competition I decided to toss out a bit of what I know about the taxi business, which is probably more than a good upright citizen should know. ... The last Checker cab made was manufactured in 1982. ... A city ordinance required that the drivers have a background check for an ID card with a photo and thumb print. ... The city's requirements were so minimal that the one car cab company had no problem starting up despite very limited financing. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: OT: Tips - seem like Vegas is the Tip capital of everywhere
    ... Taxi drivers get their tips by taking you roundabout longer distances to ... the Flying J truck stop at Cheyenne and I-15. ... driving one of the trucks down to the Strip and trying to find a place to park ... we called for a cab. ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • Re: OT: Tips - seem like Vegas is the Tip capital of everywhere
    ... Just wondering how the taxi pay is set up out in Vegas. ... I'm no expert on the taxi cab business in the United States. ... Each company charges a "trip charge". ... Some companies pay their drivers cash daily. ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • Re: OT: Tips - seem like Vegas is the Tip capital of everywhere
    ... I've used a taxi only once in Vegas. ... the Flying J truck stop at Cheyenne and I-15. ... Entering the cab we told the driver we were planning to go to Mandalay ... Both drivers that we rode with were black, the three that refused to take ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)