Re: Just Tried Tapewounds

"John Bigboote" <Bigboote.YPS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:f489bbe9-5090-458b-b6ff-0539d237b5aa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13 Mar, 10:22, "Stronger Than Dirt (John)" <skoki...@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
I put a set of Fender tapewounds onto my Gretsch acoustic/electric
bass last night and headed straight to an acoustic gig. I'd never
used tapewounds before and, while I wouldn't consider them for my
electric basses, they worked great on the acoustic. They helped
mellow the tone nicely and eliminate much of the fret click so
prevalent on A/E basses. They feel nice, too, and the black color
looks cool on the orange bass.

Ditto all that. I've heard raves about LaBella tapewounds, but they
cost 2x, and so far I'm happy with the Fenders. Besides, they were OEM
on my fretless (Precision A/E), so what the hey? Worth noting that the
Fenders are roundwounds under that tape, so some have observed they're
a bit brighter than other tapewounds or flats.

Oddly enough, I *have* considered them for one of my electrics. I
mean, why not? At $20 for the set, that's a pretty small investment to
see if you might be onto something cool.

I bought a set of LaBella tapewounds from Carvin and got a much better price
than anywhere else. I just took mine off my G&L L2000 but if I had more than
one bass I'd definitely keep them on one bass. What I noticed going back to
the roundwounds the bass shipped with is that my pinky fretting has gotten
weak with the tapewounds because they are so much more forgiving.

Andrew

  • Re: Just Tried Tapewounds
    ... bass last night and headed straight to an acoustic gig. ... used tapewounds before and, while I wouldn't consider them for my ... electric basses, they worked great on the acoustic. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Just Tried Tapewounds
    ... bass last night and headed straight to an acoustic gig. ... used tapewounds before and, while I wouldn't consider them for my ... electric basses, they worked great on the acoustic. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Just Tried Tapewounds
    ... bass last night and headed straight to an acoustic gig. ... electric basses, they worked great on the acoustic. ... I've heard raves about LaBella tapewounds, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Just Tried Tapewounds
    ... bass last night and headed straight to an acoustic gig. ... electric basses, they worked great on the acoustic. ... I've heard raves about LaBella tapewounds, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Just Tried Tapewounds
    ... bass last night and headed straight to an acoustic gig. ... electric basses, they worked great on the acoustic. ... on my fretless, ... a bit brighter than other tapewounds or flats. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)