Bowing an upright - French or German

I assume that I will want to learn to bow overhand, which seems to be
called French style. From what I read, the German style of bowing is a
holdover from the gamba days.

If anyone cares to shed any light on this issue, I'd appreciate it. I
seem to have found myself a bass - will report on it when it's actually
in my hands - and I _think_ one uses a different bow for the different
styles of bowing so I need to make that decision before I buy my bow.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

  • Re: Obama is becoming an embarrassment
    ... The middle east is different, so Norma may not be familiar with it. ... If you went to see the Dalai Lama, you would see people bowing right down to the floor three times to greet him, and once upon leaving. ... The Asians at that level have adjusted to Western cultural standards. ... Obama's bow seems polite and self effacing compared to Bush's toadying and quite literal... ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Double bass questions
    ... Now I can do this action when I am not bowing but as ... My teacher focused on having me use the entire length of the bow from ... you need to spend a _lot_ of time bowing. ... I have my upright bass ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: An interesting program
    ... her sons who were brought to Antiochus and ordered to bow down. ... up (because in doing so the boy would end up bowing before him). ... It is the story of Hannah and her seven sons recorded in the Book ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: An interesting program
    ... her sons who were brought to Antiochus and ordered to bow down. ... up (because in doing so the boy would end up bowing before him). ... It is the story of Hannah and her seven sons recorded in the Book ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: COMMENTS RE OBAMAS BOWING TO EMPEROR
    ... greeting of Japan's Emperor Akihito has already generated over ... Obama WASN'T bowing - He SAW a Japanese Yen on ... Western culture and has nothing to do with a subject showing deference ... The degree of the bow means *everything*. ...
    (alt.politics)