Re: Will you buy Behringer equipment again after reading this?

js <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Y'know, I was going to mention that and the difference between "starved
tube" and the Retrospec,, but I thought 1200 responses was enough already. :

Thing is, whenever I've seen 'starved tube" units before, there's always
SOME glow to the tube. And since I've taken a few apart, I know for a fact
it's not an LED doing the glowing, at least in those units.

There has been at least one dbx preamp with the LED, Hammond Xk-3 does
it...

It really isn't an uncommon thing - a starved plate design often has
such a low plate voltage that the plate doesn't emit any "glow" -
it's still amplifying (really badly, but that is the effect you get with
a starved plate design), but it just isn't hot enough to glow.

I'm really curious to know if that tube is hooked up to anything at all. If
it is, then the presentation is just cheesy. If not, than that is REALLY
deceptive marketing.

I'm sure it's the standard single 12ax7/12au7 with 20V or so plate
voltage circuit. Signal is going through it.

--
Aaron

  • Re: Will you buy Behringer equipment again after reading this?
    ... Thing is, whenever I've seen 'starved tube" units before, there's always ... SOME glow to the tube. ... It really isn't an uncommon thing - a starved plate design often has ... normal voltage, which reduces cathode emission and "starves" the tube, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Will you buy Behringer equipment again after reading this?
    ... that's hardly "no perceivable audio effect". ... that the starved plate design makes more of a difference to the ... sound than a conventional HV design. ... But, as far as the effect the tube allegedly has on the sound, there ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Question regarding the "Blue Glow" of Power Tubes
    ... filament heats the cathode until it glows a dull red. ... made of materials that can emit electrons at high temperature. ... tube, amplifying the signal applied to the grid. ... Many materials flouresce or "glow" when struck by electrons. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Will you buy Behringer equipment again after reading this?
    ... We all know that tubes glow. ... If you lower the heater voltage, as is often done in starved plate ... that circuits like this have lower than normal filament voltage. ... voltage enhances that tube warmth we all crave. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Peavey VTM-120 issue
    ... Just leave the amp on. ... the tubes only have the orange filament glow. ... The blue glow is electrons interacting with residual gasses in the tube. ... Some amps have solid state reverb drivers and/or solid state effects loop section, or even tremolo with solid state components. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)