Re: Playing scales/patterns on 1 string

On May 9, 5:10 pm, bassman2 <vince_angelon...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hello everyone,

it is interesting to note that whilst this way of practicing is not
ergonomically economic - meaning that there is a fair way to jump
compared to playing across strings - it does offer many other
advantages, including:

1. transposition of patterns becomes easier
2. fingerboard learning is helped
3. use of open strings (as applicable)

Any others, does anybody else actually ever practice/play this way?

Regards to all

I'm in the process of trying to go the opposite way. I'm addicted to
(or limited to, more accurately) doing most of my playing on one or
two strings. So I spend a lot of time running from open up to the 9th/
10th fret. It feels amateurish, so I'm trying to develop my "scale"
skills vertically instead of horizontally.

  • Re: Pick attack
    ... it has done wonders for my playing. ... I can't help but really hit those strings hard. ... somewhere along the eight months of practicing I've been doing, ... I'm beginning to wonder if my pickups are just super weak... ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: E and A strings "ring" ........?
    ... The EQ and volume on your amp can also 'drive' open strings. ... you're playing the other. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Strings -- But for Arch-Tops
    ... I haven't really thought about playing my archtops acoustically, ... than just practicing, so strings are the same for me, DA Chromes .11's. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: OT: Any folk harp players in the NG?
    ... I'd never played a harp before. ... >figuring out and some practicing, and was ultimately able to play well enough ... >with the strings laid out like that, ... Amy, you have such optimism. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: Laptop giggers?
    ... practicing for $, so depending on what I felt like practicing I'd ... What amuses me when I'm "practicing" on a solo gig (or any ... own fulfillment or you're not playing your best imo. ... Playing for yourself on background gigs is killing jazz? ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)