Re: Looking to buy a bigger amp

PatK <pkincaid@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bigger amp from what I have now, which is a 50
watt 12 inch speaker Crate amp that I've had for about 10 years. I've
used this amp at home just to practice and it's okay for that, but I
want to get something the next size up with a bit better sound. I
don't want to spend a lot of money for what I'm going to get, maybe in
the $300 range or so. I just was wondering if there were any
recommendations of what to look for or even what to avoid? Maybe this
is too broad of a question but I'll give it a shot.

Hiya Pat,

How is Cincy? I've got some ties there...

The next step up would be a combo in a 2x10 or 1x15 form factor, and
preferably with a lot more power. To narrow among the choices out
there, I'd say if yer steppin up though to do yourself a favor and get
in the neighborhood of 300W in the combo, that way you'll be able to
gig or jam in a reasonably loud rock band with it without really any
difficulty being heard. That's where the Behringer bang for the buck
starts looking pretty appealing. Then it's a matter of pref whether
you prefer the 2x10 sound or 1x15 sound within what's available.

At the $300 price point, the 2x10 is out of the question unfortunatley
but you can get a powerful 1x15 combo:

Ashdown 300W, B-stock 15
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAGC115T

Behringer has new 300W and 180W options sub $300 in a 1x15:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBXL3000A
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBXL3000
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX1800

Fender 100W 15
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2315600010
Ampeg 100W 15
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AMPBA115

To get into 2x10 combos, you'll only need to toss another $50-$100 at
the effort:

Behringer 450W $400
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX4210A
Fender 100W $350
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2315700000

At your price point, you won't have the luxury of being too picky on
tone, but if a lot louder but within your budget is the goal, the
great news is that there are lots of options today that didn't exist
10 years ago.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: still playing the tiny terror but time to call it a night.
    ... and then a quick plug change (cabs plug back into the Fender) ... least favorite amp is my gigging amp and the rest are in my studio for ... sounds I like and trying to discovery how I personally like to sound. ... This Orange Tiny Terror had another workout today - I played it for about ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Valveking 112 revisited
    ... Nice clean tone, headroom, ability to go bluesy dirty, reverb, not too heavy and no BS extra crap. ... when playing Fender style Strats/Teles. ... overdrive is where this amp really shines. ... Might be a cool sound before ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: A (SAD) TALE OF TWO FENDERS.
    ... Do Fender use Quality Control procedures and if so, ... Fender make sound equipment which can sound ... This amp was JUST outside its warrenty period which was good for Fender ...
    (uk.music.guitar)
  • Re: Mark Knopfler Amplifier? Eric Johnson Amplifier?
    ... sound he gets as far as the silky clean chord stuff. ... So, if I wanted to fake his tone with one amp, I'd ... probably use a fender, and then pedal it up a tad for lead. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: just bought Evans RE150
    ... Reverb with my Strat but not my carvetop. ... Whether you like Fender or not, they're the standard for jazz and pop ... heard ANYONE get the velvety Benson or Wes sound with a SS amp. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)