"Must Learn" Songs - Your Suggestions...

A little context: By "must learn" I don't mean "must know" songs like "Brown
Eyed Girl" or "Mustang Sally". What I'm thinking about are songs you think
would be useful to the aspiring bassist (aren't we all?) and why.

"With a Little Help From My Friends" by The Beatles. It teaches you that you
don't need a lot of notes to make something sound really good. It also shows
you different ways to play over the same progression. It's got its own funky
little syncopation to it.

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen. Apply your scales and get a feel
for how an uncomplicated bassline can just make a song sing.

"Easy Living" by Uriah Heep. Learn how to vary a bassline over a driving
guitar playing just a couple of chords. Have fun with some triplets. Take a
listen to the live version from 1971 to hear it really rock.

Your suggestions?

  • Re: Q for gigging bassists: how do you practice?
    ... Well I get your point of knowing the scales and chords before playing. ... Actually, every time I got stuck with my practicing, I went back to my Gary ... What I'm trying to say is, I'm running songs, yes. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Melodic & Harmonic minors
    ... > Okay Joey. ... My point being is songs are ... But keys and scales are not as strictly related as I think you might ... chord from mel min is min7 rather than m7b5. ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • Re: crazy idea
    ... The rejected musicians start flaming you, ... because of work or family pressures, someone copies your songs because ... Get to know some other musicians online, kinda like online dating, and ... not crazy. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Pratice time splitting
    ... you learn songs. ... to play with other people. ... playing with his friends in the garage, a guy who plays by himself ... to the practicing of scales, then do it until you reach your goal. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Teacher Question
    ... a teacher who teaches songs does not teach music. ... >> I'd like to know some opinions on the teacher situation I am in. ... >> during my next lesson. ... Other scales (major, minor, pentatonic and many more ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)