De-activate an active bass?

Has anyone here pulled out a functioning active preamp, and replaced the
guts with good ol' fashioned passive ones?

I have a Fender 4 with volume/blend/b/m/t controls, but the preamp is noisy
and I'm not particularly enamored of it.

I also have a Schecter 5, now with a Bart preamp that gives it the same
set-up, but I *love* the tone-shaping possibilities, as well as the
dead-quiet of the preamp.

I've considered replacing the Fender's guts with an Aguilar OBP-3. But I'm
also thinking that, tonally, I'd like the Fender to become a "passive bass."

Obviously, this approach would cost a fraction of the Ag preamp. But it
would also better differentiate it from the active, 5-string Schecter.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I just freaking crazy?

Tanks,

-jb

--
John Bigboote