Re: Question on Dm7b5 chord

What is Locrian anyway? Seriously.

The 7th "mode" of the major scale. It's ptypicaly played over m7b5 chords:

1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 7 1

or in the key of C, B Locrian:

BCDEFGAB

As you can see, it's exactly the same as Cmajor, just starting on B. This is
why it doesn't really matter which mode you play, as long you're in the
right key.

In minor, the modes get shifted around, and the locrian becomes the second
mode.

If playing in key of G for instance, I go from G to Em to
Dbm7b5 to Am7 to D back to G, or in the Nashville system..... 1 to 6- to
b5-7b5 to 2-7 to 5 back to 1.

Nott sure what this progression is in relation to, or what the harmonic
rhythm is, but here's what I would do:

G Em Am D - all in the key of G use the appropriate modes for the G major
series.

Dbm7b5 = C#m7b5 = #4 of the key.

Reason for the change is that it's part of a very common "turnaround
progression":

#4m7b5 | 4-7 | 3-7| b3o7|

In English, key of G:

C#m7b5 | C-7 | B-7| Bbo7|| A-7 | D | G ||

Your progression skips the intervening chords, but it still sounds like it's
heading that way. Point being. in this case I would use G LYDIAN (G A B C#
D E F# D), or if you want to simplify, play a D major scale over the C#m7b5,
then go back to G major for the Am7 chord.

To simplify even more, all you have to do is play Gmajor, but use C# instead
of C on that one chord, then change back.

Hope this helps.

Lessons, music and more at www.jmsjazz.com

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid,
but most stupid people are conservatives."
- John Stuart Mill