Re: Question on Dm7b5 chord

On 2006-08-01, fred <insert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"John Shaughnessy" <johngoogleplexNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:pNQzg.93637$R26.22753@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Huh?

In any diatonic major key, a m7b5 is the vii chord.

In minor, it's the ii chord.

This means ANY of the parent modes will work over it to produce the
diatonic
notes of the scale.

In other words, play Cminor or Ebmajor or ANY of the modes of Eb major,
and
you're cool like Fonzie - so F dorian is just as good as anything else.

But if you want the Dm7b5 to have more of a "dominant" flavor, you can use
something like the D Locrian nat6 from the harmonic minor scale - or you
could just play C harmonic minor over the whole thing. Either way it gives
the "leading tone", B natural which is a nice lead in to the G7.

Lessons, music and more at www.jmsjazz.com

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid,
but most stupid people are conservatives."
- John Stuart Mill