get pretty even 32nd notes this way.

I'll call that a "Sheehangauedo" 'cause I think I stole that from him...

--
Lessons, music and more at www.jmsjazz.com

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid,
but most stupid people are conservatives."
- John Stuart Mill

"cosmic" <michele.costabile@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
There is very little information about "rasgueado" (with an a) in
WikiPedia, I'll try to complement a little with my modest classical
guitar background.
I think the literal translation of rasgueado should sound something
like "scratched".
There are two main techniques.
Close hand in a fist then fire your fingers: the third finger, the
middle finger and then the index strumming strings with the back of
your nails.
When your hand is extended, close it again strumming backwards starting
once more with the middle finger.
This way you have a pattern 3, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1. Easy to sustain.
The sound at first is TATATA - tatata - TATATA - tatata. The goal is to
make strums equal. It helps using fingernail both ways, but they should
be longer than it is common on the bass.
The feel is triplets and you should place one on every fourth or eight
dependng on time.

There is an other way to make 32nd strums adding a back strum with the
fingernail of the thumb before strumming with the fingernails of 3, 2,
1. You have the time to close the hand again while you strum with the
thumb.
The pattern is t-3-2-1,t-3-2-1. This time in groups of four notes.
In this second scheme you use only the back of the fingernails and it
seems easier to have a uniform sound, but the thumb tends to sound
different and marks the beginning of every pattern too heavily. In my
opinion, the second technique is more difficult to manage even on the
light and friendly nylon strings of a guitar.

Ah, of course you should play chords rasgueado, not single notes. A
similar technique (just backwards, plucking) is useful to play single
notes in a fast tremolo. Useful for endings.

.