Re: Follow Up - Re: Newb Question #1 - Strings Flat vs Round
- From: Kraig Olmstead <kraigo_Do_Not_Spam_Me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:30:48 -0500
My experience with half-rounds is limitted to GHS Brite Flats. That experience can be summed up on one syllable: Ugh!
Best of luck in your string search. I'm sort of embarking on one myself.
Thanks to all that responded..
Seems the concensus regarding the biggest difference between
flats/round tone wise is that flats lose some highs and have bigger
bottom than rounds. That is what I was looking for so now I know
what to expect.
I did not know that half rounds or pressure wounds (sound like the
same thing different name to me) existed.
I know that ultimately it will be trial, error and expense to
determine what I prefer. I do like feel of the flats on my other bass
and prefer flat over round. I think my first go at a string type will
those half rounds since it seems like a good compromise between
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:53:19 -0700, CWB <cwb_2005@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Not having much experience it this area and the fact I changed a
pickup and strings (round to flat) on my guitar at the same time so of
course it sounded different.
If string guages and material are equal:
1. is there noticable tone difference between the strings types?
2. is there a difference in tension that could impact set up?
I kinda like the flats.
The reason I am asking is that it is good to know information and I
just got a new bass with rounds that is sounding pretty good, but I'm
leaning towards getting flats, but a bit cost prohibitive at this
moment in time.
- Prev by Date: Re: The trouble or the opportunity?
- Next by Date: Re: Woah what happened to my tone?!
- Previous by thread: BX3?
- Next by thread: Jazz Real/Fake books