Re: OT: Transporting Gear

Boyd Williamson wrote:
On 1/22/06 8:39 PM, in article 43d43df5$1_1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Brian
Running" <brunning@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but educate me on the difference
between MDF and particle board. Which one isn't heavy and doesn't swell
up when it gets wet?

Particle board is very coarse, heavy and soaks up water like a sponge. It swells up and crumbles. It shouldn't be used for anything structural, in my opinion. MDF is very smooth and fine, very dense and is heavier than hell. Most grades of it are waterproof, won't swell when wet, and can be used on exteriors. MDF is very stiff and acoustically inert, it's the best material there is for making speaker enclosures -- but it's so damned heavy, you really can't use it for portable cabs. It's also not very good at handling repeated stress, and screws tend to work loose.

Sorry for displaying my ignorance. I've always regarded "particle board" as
a product made from chewed-up pieces of wood, mixed with some sort of glue,
and formed into boards. Like the stuff that supported my waterbed for 10
years, then crumbled like a graham cracker. Wotta mess!

And I can send you pictures of the stuff that the back panel of my '70
Fender 2x12" cabinet is made of. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it's
obvious it didn't grow that way.

I believe that "particle board" is still a generic term to a lot of people,
used to describe, among other things, the regurgitated stuff that Marshall
is using in their cabinets now, that doesn't sound near as good as decent
plywood. An amplifier or cabinet, of course, is an instrument itself.
Everything resonates, to some degree. The specific wood used has an
influence on the tone, just like an acoustic guitar.

So what, exactly, does "MDF" stand for, and what is it made out of?

http://acronymfinder.com/

Medium Density Fiberboard. It's made from chewed-up pieces of wood, mixed with some sort of glue. Hell, I've been a carpenter for eight years, and I can't tell you what the difference is. MDF looks, weighs, hold fasteners bpoorly, crumbles, and soaks up water like particle board. Perhaps it's just good quality particle board.

--
<A HREF="http://www.dj-ulrich.com/";>Ulrich</A>
DoD#732