Re: Interesting commentary on the UK riots

"White Spirit" wrote in message news:j2au5k$2i3$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There have been similar consequences in U.S. cities, e.g. L.A. after the
Rodney King riots. The PO stopped delivering to riot-torn areas, so
there were no checks coming in, and since local grocery stores were
looted and burned there were no places to cash checks anyway. No buses
to get to work, no place to buy groceries--so the poorest part part town
takes the hit.

Even before the riots, we have had areas the Police will not enter unless it is part of a larger operation. There have also been cases where ambulances have been set on fire and the paramedics beaten by thugs. The law-abiding citizens don't really stand much of a chance in those communities.

I can remember reading about how there were parts of London (and presumably other cities) in previous centuries where the cops went only in force, that apparently hasn't changed much. What is different these days is at least some of the thugs live in public housing and get paid to do nothing, so it would appear that the welfare state isn't too good at getting rid of the criminal underclass.

.