Jim T wrote:

"Jim T" <jthread@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:YYCdnc4RMevC7GnRnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Les Cargill" <lcargill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4cf46e09$0$5168$9a6e19ea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DGDevin wrote:
"Les Cargill" wrote in message
news:icv2ca$i7b$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can those constraints be removed? Can medical training be
improved? Not likely. We are throwing money at medicine in the US,
much more than anywhere else in the world. It may or may
not give us better care ( most likely, it doesn't ).

We throw money at it because we do not wish to be seen as
skinflints. But medical costs in the US are still rising at
a doubling every several years - I think eight.

We're throwing money at it because health care is a business that
yields
rich profits. There is nothing wrong with profit, the profit motive is
an effective way to get things done when someone makes money on a
benefit they provide to someone else. But just like on Wall St., health
care companies come up with ways to increase their profits without
necessarily providing much benefit for anyone else.

Won't argue there - so caveat emptor.

The American health insurance industry absorbs more money for
administrative overhead than anywhere else in the world, and it's
not by
a few percentage points, it's in multiples.

It varies. Medicine is *NOTORIOUSLY* administratively inefficient,
but even then, as Ezra Klein reported through the debate on ACA,
it will make some difference, but not a lot. Ezra's no expert; he
was acting as an aggregator.

<snip>

When I was working as a billing clerk they were regarded as low adm
costs.

http://www.americanhealthsolution.org/fact-check-medicare-s-true-administrative-costs/

If you have different data let us know. You know what they say about
data.

Jim

Sorry. I read "Medicare" instead of "Medicine My bad. Interesting chart
anyway.

Ji

Yeah, comparisons with Medicare are one of the main ways other
medical businesses are evaluated. Medicare is known to be more
efficient.

--
Les Cargill
.