Re: Bias for 6L6?

Phil_S wrote:
Well, fellas, looks like those pulls from the Sears organ chassis are going to be the ticket. I've got them in the amp. Va=~360 and Ia = 61mA on one tube and 62.4mA on the other tube. I'm making this for about 22W per tube or 44W for the pair. Grids are about -26V. I can move grid voltage down to almost -22. Where do these "belong"? The OT is a Stancor A-3801, the fabled Trainwreck iron, 6600 ohm primary.

Screen voltage is around 350V.

mA are calculated based on the voltage drop between the plate and CT of the OT. I know the Ohms on each half of the winding. I'd call this the modified shunt method. I freely admit that I'm too chicken to put the meter in amps mode. Last time I tried doing it, I slipped and it cost me both the OT and the PT. I had tip jacks installed in the chassis and darn if I didn't slip while putting the probe in the tip jack. Some things are very unforgiving and defy idiot proofing.

I have the idea from looking at the RCA Receiving Tube Manual that a pair of 6L6GC might be happier with a more mA. But all the tabled data show a big spread between plate voltage and screen voltage.

Thanks.

Phil

22W/tube is good. You can run up to 23W/tube and still be safe. After that, you'll be shortening the device life.

There is no "magic" number where the tube stands up and sings. Its your amp, your ears. If you want to run them a bit hotter for the tone you like, do it. Just be prepared to replace them sooner. Big time players who can afford it run their tubes hot enough to need replacing after each show. Whatever.

I always ask my customers to come with their guitar for the bias setting.

And they always love the tone they choose.

Hope it helps.

John

  • Re: Ping Prof Turner: Amplifier questions
    ... Rin to the anode circuit of a CF is very high, and the output voltage is ... >>But if you are to drive an output tube set up for fixed bias from a CF ... The mosfet amp I have will run switched off for 20 seconds since the PS caps ...
    (rec.audio.tubes)
  • Re: Getting Warmth From My Twin Reverb...
    ... > mentioned replacing tubes and speakers, but that will only take you so far. ... an integral component of the tone chain. ... detract from the harmonics in the original amp signal. ... The TR has solid state rectification, instead of a tube rectifier ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Fender SCXD - again... (long)
    ... I, like you, was curious about the Champ XD, and played one this past week-end at GC. ... However, IMHO, it was not that far removed from running a POD/ToneLab etc into the EFX return of a tube amp. ... such amp would soon replace the big tone I get out of my 74 Pro reverb ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Behringer V-Amp2 or Line6 Pocket POD?
    ... and that is what I meant by tube snob. ... I fully admit to being infected by the tone bug. ... but it really does interfere with playing for a purpose. ... And when I brought the backup amp, ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Ping Prof Turner: Amplifier questions
    ... > into a conventional self bias 6V6 SE pentode configuration. ... > buffer tube to drive the 6V6) and, currently, I've been thinking to ... lower voltage than the actual output tube bias voltage. ... The amount of B+ drop in an SET amp is negligible under musical signal ...
    (rec.audio.tubes)