Re: Another tolex question

On 30 Jan 2008 20:44:13 GMT, claudel@xxxxxxxxx (Claude V. Lucas)
wrote:

In article <47a0e15d$0$36380$742ec2ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Claude V. Lucas <claudel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What do you recommend for:
a)Cleaning and conditioning Tolex on fender amps

Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Silicone free...

Available at your friendly local auto parts emporium.

b)Removing paint from Tolex (I cant remember the product)

Goof-Off, but check first for undesirable side-effects in a
not-visible location.

c) Cleaning the faceplates on blackface and silverface amps

Elbow grease, be careful with solvents.

I've heard about Meguirs, haven't tried it.

At the moment I'm cleaning up a real cruddy amp that sat in a basement
for a spell (a Fender Yale Reverb). I use Gel-Gloss liquid diluted
about 5:1 with water and a bristle brush like you'd use to scrub your
hands. Work it in real well and wipe it off with a damp sponge. Rinse
& wring out the sponge and wipe again. Towel dry. Chrome, too. I use
it full strength on faceplates, but be careful of the silkscreening;
it'll come right off old Ampegs and Gibsons (use mild soap & H20
first). Fenders are OK. You have to be careful on some metals, the
stuff does polish and you might end up with some shiny spots where you
rubbed some gunk off.

I should have taken before/after px, bt Im 2 biz E...

-DC
.