Tubes for a Peavey VTM-120 head

Hey. I bought a Peavey VTM-120 guitar amp head recently. it looks like the
tubes are the same ones it came with in the 80s, cuz both the pre and power
tubes say peavey on them and both have silver tops.. How much of a
difference would changing the pre and power tubes make? I'm trying to get a
crunchy, heavy sound with mid-range bark. How much do new tubes really
effect the sound? For example, what pre (12ax7) and power tubes (6l6) should
i buy to get the sound I described above. The amp already sounds awesome
already, but i'm assuming i can achieve a better tone with new tubes. Any
suggestions on what pre and power tubes i should buy to enhance the sound
i'm already getting out of this guitar head?

Thanks,
-Adam
adam79@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Latest Proto/Demo Results
    ... get the best of both worlds - the sweet warm sound of SE, ... extreme treble and I mean EXTREME! ... Amazing warm tone when clean. ... and with what kind of output tubes. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Capacitor questions.
    ... sound INDISTINGUISHABLE! ... if you do a fair comparison. ... stright-wire bypass test using revealing recordings and a tough real-world ... never be practical if implemented in tubes. ...
    (rec.audio.tubes)
  • Re: Need help improving amp sound
    ... is supposed to sound and usually does sound with that crappy speaker. ... sounding speaker when used with an amp and guitar that are not dark sounding. ... the 16 ohm speaker and not the 8 ohm - but check to make sure) ... power tubes myself, and they still charged me over $200 for the preamp ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Screen supply sources
    ... which DO NOT sound better and DO NOT constitute a soft start system. ... While I've screwed around a lot with tubes over ... but stick with something simpler like a shunt regulator made out of VR ... centertapped secondary and a bridge rectifier you get two B+ voltages, ...
    (rec.audio.tubes)
  • Re: Marshall DSL 401 - Juicing the JJs - how far?
    ... I was joking about the crossover distortion. ... or if my changing tubes or bias setting did ... Unplug the reverb. ... In any case - the amp/tubes sound sweet as candy - and the hotter they ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)