Another filter cap discharge question - Plate pins to ground?

I found this method while researching a better alternative to the BFSD
method of discharging the caps:

"I use the discharge method mentioned in Webers book - Unplug the
amp.
Place an alligator clip jumper cable from the 1st pre-amp tube plate
(pin
1 or 6) to chassis ground. Turn the power switch on(and standby
switch
if it has one). Wait 5 minutes or so. Place a second jumper from
any
power tubes plate (pin 3 on a 6L6 or 6V6) to chassis ground. Wait
another
minute or so. That's it. I leave the jumpers in place while working
on
the amp to discharge any juice that might build back up in the caps
while
the amps on the bench. Good luck and be careful.
Jeff "

If I use this method, would I still need to use a resistor in series
between the jumper clips, to avoid an arc? Or does this method use the
built-in resistance of the tube/circuits, eliminating the need for a
resistor buffer?

Secondly, if I use this method, connecting two jumpers between the
preamp tube plate pin (1 or 6), and the power tube pin 3, and leave
them on for the duration of my repair, I would NOT have to re-drain
the caps because they wont re-charge as long as the jumpers are in
place?

Thirdly, if the jumpers are on the plate pins to ground, can I still
hook my DMM to the positive cap leg and to ground - to make sure there
is no juice left?

Thanks again! I'm getting there!!

Andy

  • Re: Another filter cap discharge question - Plate pins to ground?
    ... "I use the discharge method mentioned in Webers book - Unplug the ... the amp to discharge any juice that might build back up in the caps ... Secondly, if I use this method, connecting two jumpers between the ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Another filter cap discharge question - Plate pins to ground?
    ... "I use the discharge method mentioned in Webers book - Unplug the ... the amp to discharge any juice that might build back up in the caps ... Secondly, if I use this method, connecting two jumpers between the ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: SMPS topology selection
    ... addressing discharge current levels - it only addresses the ... nice professional and large Siemens caps. ... flash caps, much smaller and prettier. ... if this is supplied from a regular battery I guess it would ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: HP LJ4M slow switch on
    ... would charge virtually immediately when powered, ... That explained your last sentence (as then the caps weren't ... and that reduces both the charge and discharge current, ... applied for long enough time, by causing them to heat up. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Discharging Capacitors Prior to ESR Meter Probing
    ... I just use about a 20w 1K ceramic power resistor from a scrap unit with some ... like to discharge the large PS caps and CRTs just for safety, ... My understanding is that the non-power supply caps will ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)