Re: ping Jim Able, Mesa ????

jh wrote:

Jim schrieb:
> jh wrote:
>
>> Jim schrieb:

>>> 60W combo w/ 90W Celestion, blue stripe, EQ, Reverb

>>> There's a 100/60W simu-class, but I don't need the extra power and I
>>> like the 90W Celestion. Most guys that buy a Mesa want a gain tone,
>>> and most of that is created in the preamp. I did not need the 100W
>>> feature. I have other clean and crunch amps, this is my gain amp.

>>> All personal tastes. I can tell you that Mesa Support is EXCELLENT,
>>> and will explain the differences between the color stripes to you
>>> (they've got it all handy in a book). I usually get the message that
>>> the receptionist is busy, you need to go through the options for
>>> customer service or repair. Phone: 707-778-6565
>>>
>>> IIRC, blue stripe means some power amp mods back to Mark IIC, and
>>> some gain mods to make the preamp even out better when switching.
>>> But I think I posted here at the time I called, so a google search
>>> might be more accurate.

>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> May I put a slight correction here?
>> The 100/60W model is not simul class. The 100/60 has 4 6L6 in standard
>> configuration. The simul class has a different OT with taps. 1 tube
>> per side is wired in triode mode; and IIRC the plate is connected is
>> to the outer taps of the OT. These can also substituted with El34s.
>> The inner pair of tubes is standard wiring, connected to the inner
>> taps of the OT. The SCs switch from 15W to 75W.
>> Switching on both models is achieved by simply lifting the cathode...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Jochen
>

> So the Simul-class is independent from the 60/100W feature then?
>
> Here's one site that I've relied on:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~ayan/history.htm

Hi Jim,
the first paragraph in the IIB chapter of this article explains it
better than I can...

regards

Jochen

I'd have to A/B the two to decide if I'm missing anything. My experience with triode amps is that they tend to sound darker and "mushier." Not sure that I'd like that. I could put in a switch for triode, but I have my doubts about whether I'd use it. I do eventually plan to modify the bias circuit, anyway. But my first attempt with a couple of near NOS Sylvania (tested as new, but used) put the bias in a very acceptable point and sounded great, so I skipped the mod at that point.

  • Re: ping Jim Able, Mesa ????
    ... >> Jim schrieb: ... The simul class has a different OT with taps. ... >> Switching on both models is achieved by simply lifting the cathode... ... experience with triode amps is that they tend to sound darker and "mushier." ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: ping Jim Able, Mesa ????
    ... I have other clean and crunch amps, ... The simul class has a different OT with taps. ... >> Switching on both models is achieved by simply lifting the cathode... ... experience with triode amps is that they tend to sound darker and "mushier." ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Marshall 6100 switching problems
    ... buffers could latch up. ... that you would have an identical intermittent on three amps, ... And of course MIDI requires a CPU. ... which means that you can do switching without ground loops. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: GPIO
    ... My education in electronics was highly theoretical (fundamentals of solid state semiconductor physics and planar technologies, amps and multivibrators circuit analysis, feedback analysis, frequency analysis and such) and for me FETs seem to be ideal elements for such switching, them being voltage driven and sinking low currents and in a matter of speaking separating input circuit from the output. ... I was wondering if the PWM switching speed would dismiss the possibility of using a relay and if that was why the transistors were used. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Motherboard inductors
    ... Is what you are calling a a "buck converter" what I have always called a switching regulator? ... each running at 30 Amps the current through the first inductor might go from 25 to 35 Amps during the time it is being energised. ... Then the second inductor does the same and so on. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)