Re: ping Jim Able, Mesa ????

jh wrote:

Jim schrieb:
> jh wrote:
>
>> Jim schrieb:

>>> 60W combo w/ 90W Celestion, blue stripe, EQ, Reverb

>>> There's a 100/60W simu-class, but I don't need the extra power and I
>>> like the 90W Celestion. Most guys that buy a Mesa want a gain tone,
>>> and most of that is created in the preamp. I did not need the 100W
>>> feature. I have other clean and crunch amps, this is my gain amp.

>>> All personal tastes. I can tell you that Mesa Support is EXCELLENT,
>>> and will explain the differences between the color stripes to you
>>> (they've got it all handy in a book). I usually get the message that
>>> the receptionist is busy, you need to go through the options for
>>> customer service or repair. Phone: 707-778-6565
>>>
>>> IIRC, blue stripe means some power amp mods back to Mark IIC, and
>>> some gain mods to make the preamp even out better when switching.
>>> But I think I posted here at the time I called, so a google search
>>> might be more accurate.

>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> May I put a slight correction here?
>> The 100/60W model is not simul class. The 100/60 has 4 6L6 in standard
>> configuration. The simul class has a different OT with taps. 1 tube
>> per side is wired in triode mode; and IIRC the plate is connected is
>> to the outer taps of the OT. These can also substituted with El34s.
>> The inner pair of tubes is standard wiring, connected to the inner
>> taps of the OT. The SCs switch from 15W to 75W.
>> Switching on both models is achieved by simply lifting the cathode...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Jochen
>

> So the Simul-class is independent from the 60/100W feature then?
>
> Here's one site that I've relied on:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~ayan/history.htm

Hi Jim,
the first paragraph in the IIB chapter of this article explains it
better than I can...

regards

Jochen

I'd have to A/B the two to decide if I'm missing anything. My experience with triode amps is that they tend to sound darker and "mushier." Not sure that I'd like that. I could put in a switch for triode, but I have my doubts about whether I'd use it. I do eventually plan to modify the bias circuit, anyway. But my first attempt with a couple of near NOS Sylvania (tested as new, but used) put the bias in a very acceptable point and sounded great, so I skipped the mod at that point.
.