Re: Power Supply Filtering: Is More Better ?

"John King" <kingsx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Chief_Billy@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm building a Marshall JTM-45 clone. The BOM calls out 16uF filter
caps
at the pre-amp C- and D-feeds (to PI and pre-amp, respectively) from
the PS. I'm thinking of bumping these up to 40uF, same as the B-feed
(to screen grids) . I'm thinking that this will give me a tighter
bottom end and a more lively tone. I'm using a GZ34 tube rectifier.

Would increasing the filter , as I plan to do, be a 'good thing' ? Any
detriments ?

There are several reasons not to drift too far away from spec
on such an amp build. While it is true that capacitors in general
have a wide tolerance band which allows some leeway, in the case
of power supply filters, there are consequences. Tube rectifiers
have specs as to what capacitance they are tolerant to. Even with
SS (diodes) for rectification, raising the capacitance value will
have some sonic impact. Generally in the form of 'tightening' up
the dynamics of the amp. (Which seems to be the effect you are
after.) Just be mindful of the spec of the GZ34? recto tube, and
what its capacitance limits are. You could always do a 'dual recto'
on it; and have switchable SS (diode) rectification feeding bigger
caps to produce a different sound than the stock setup. No risk
to the recto tube that way. Probably really 'tighten' it up too!

John King

I'll build it stock, then try adding a little more capacitance one stage at
a time.
Luckily, caps in parallel are additive..makes it easy.

  • Re: Power Supply Filtering: Is More Better ?
    ... I'm using a GZ34 tube rectifier. ... raising the capacitance value will ... caps to produce a different sound than the stock setup. ... to the recto tube that way. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: placing addiional caps across existing caps to reduce noise
    ... I understand about different caps working better at different ... I just don't see the benefit of smaller capacitance values. ... Rick's teacher has presented a way to prevent resonances between bypass ... high Q of the plane capacitance. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Size of power supply capacitors
    ... Haflers have a significant sag with the power supplies. ... bigger caps will sound like a bigger amp. ... If you have enough capacitance, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Capacitor self-resonant freq question
    ... X7R is IIRC +/-15% over its temperature range, NPO is close to ... increase the voltage across the cap, its capacitance drops. ... If you only ever use NPO caps, that limits you to about 1nF or so. ... > impedance goes up with frequency, looking like an inductor, I thought ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: on-chip bypass caps
    ... I've been progressively cranking down the number of bypass caps on my boards, ... and the on-chip caps reinforce that trend. ... caps on the chip was because the bondwire inductance makes off-chip ... Capacitance is much cheaper per microfarad when it is not on the chip, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)