>>> "Norman Frech" <normanfrech@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

>>> The feedback resistors you're using didn't match the schematic.
>>> Try 10K and 4700.
>>>
>>> --
>>> If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
>>
>> I started with the 10K and 4700 and changed them to 820 and 100. The
>> PI section is now like an AB763 with a 12AT7. These changes really had
>> no effect either way.
>>
>> I think I am going to move the 470 ohm grid resistor back to the top of
>> the board and then run shielded cable over to the grid on the tube.
>> What do you think?
>>

> Grid stopper should be on the tube socket. Wouldn't hurt to run
> sheilded downstream from it, but I'm not convinced that this is causing
> the problem.
>
> If I understood your original post, you added a pot to the circuit that
> isn't on the schematic? Bypass that pot (or use a fixed R in it's place
> if needed) and see what happens. Just a wild guess, though.
> Phil

Good call Phil.
Norm, to expound on what Phil said, remove anything that's not a vibroverb.
Then starting from a clean slate, check all the grounds, make sure you've got
good tubes and make sure the wires are routed to minimize the chances of
feedback. Once you have a stable amp, you can add the modifications you want
one at the time, testing thoroughly before moving on to the next.
BTW, are you building from a kit, rewiering a RI, or building from scratch?
Which/whose/what chassis are you using? What's the layout like? What
transformers are in there?

--
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

  • Re: Almost every OEM...
    ... Alan Baker ... to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic ... CSMS walked him through the fix they now work. ... you through the fix, your links were broke, and now they're fixed. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: AAS attack prompts valve dilemma
    ... Output valve bias is achieved by feeding a negative DC voltage to the grids ... via a hardwired fixed resistor that sets the voltage. ... However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, is my advice. ...
    (uk.music.guitar)
  • Re: SUSE update simplification query
    ... YOU decide what online repo's you use. ... call changes and what is importand for you. ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: I am NOT a troll
    ... It is If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ... The only updates I want are security updates, ... You are about to enter another dimension, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)