Re: OT: Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:52:08 -0400, Bruce Morgen <editor@xxxxxxxx> did
courageously avow:

>Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US
>
>U.S. vs. Ressam
>
>(Court's comments.)
>
>THE COURT: Okay. Let me say a few things. First of
>all, it will come as no surprise to anybody that this sentencing
>is one that I have struggled with a great deal, more than any
>other sentencing that I've had in the 24 years I've been on the
>bench.
>
>I've done my very best to arrive at a period of confinement
>that appropriately recognizes the severity of the intended
>offense, but also recognizes the practicalities of the parties'
>positions before trial and the cooperation of Mr. Ressam, even
>though it did terminate prematurely.
>
>The message I would hope to convey in today's sentencing is
>two-fold: First, that we have the resolve in this country to
>deal with the subject of terrorism and people who engage in it
>should be prepared to sacrifice a major portion of their life in
>confinement.
>
>Secondly, though, I would like to convey the message that our
>system works. We did not need to use a secret military tribunal,
>or detain the defendant indefinitely as an enemy combatant, or
>deny him the right to counsel, or invoke any proceedings beyond
>those guaranteed by or contrary to the United States
>Constitution.
>
>I would suggest that the message to the world from today's
>sentencing is that our courts have not abandoned our commitment
>to the ideals that set our nation apart. We can deal with the
>threats to our national security without denying the accused
>fundamental constitutional protections.

It is too bad that these are just the words of an employee and not
management.

>Despite the fact that Mr. Ressam is not an American citizen
>and despite the fact that he entered this country intent upon
>killing American citizens, he received an effective, vigorous
>defense, and the opportunity to have his guilt or innocence
>determined by a jury of 12 ordinary citizens.
>
>Most importantly, all of this occurred in the sunlight of a
>public trial. There were no secret proceedings, no indefinite
>detention, no denial of counsel.
>
>The tragedy of September 11th shook our sense of security and
>made us realize that we, too, are vulnerable to acts of
>terrorism. Unfortunately, some believe that this threat renders
>our Constitution obsolete. This is a Constitution for which men
>and women have died and continue to die and which has made us a
>model among nations. If that view is allowed to prevail, the
>terrorists will have won.

He and I agree on that one.

>It is my sworn duty, and as long as there is breath in my
>body I'll perform it, to support and defend the Constitution of
>the United States.
>
>We will be in recess.

Ken Wilson
Posting from the last bastion of freedom and democracy.
Proud Owner of LV, Paul Know less, PMG, John Boy Wheaton, Clod
and the rest of the Union of Rightwing Idiots Needing Explanations (URINE)
Former owner of Jet Ski, traded to Elvis Kabong for a half-eaten twinkie
and an old stub from a Mom & Dads concert.
www.resisters.ca

  • Re: Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US
    ... >> Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US ... >> THE COURT: Okay. ... >> our Constitution obsolete. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • OT: Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US
    ... Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US ... THE COURT: Okay. ... our Constitution obsolete. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US
    ... > Judge sentencing Ahmed Ressam Slams US ... > THE COURT: Okay. ... > our Constitution obsolete. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • The Kangaroo Court System in Vietnam
    ... The recent trial and sentencing of seven alleged terrorists by a Hanoi ... It appears to me that leaders of the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) ... The CPV clearly hopes that one more month in jail for the three US ... Why is the Hanoi court so compliant to the CPV that the verdicts ...
    (soc.culture.vietnamese)
  • Unhelpful assumption is gone = The death of the IPP.
    ... Court of Appeal, Criminal Division ... protection should be passed if the necessary criteria were ... A sentencing court should have in mind all the methods of providing ... The Court of Appeal, Criminal Division, so stated, on November 26, ...
    (uk.legal)