"Are we going to go to jail for giving food to the homeless?"
- From: whistler <whistler-ab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:37:34 -0700
Posted on Fri, Jul. 06, 2007
Students feed homeless despite officials' warnings
A lesson in fighting City Hall.
By Susan Snyder
Inquirer Staff Writer
For nearly two years, students, parents and staff at the Mathematics,
Civics and Sciences Charter School have handed out food and supplies
to the homeless once a week on the sidewalk near JFK Plaza in Center
But last Thursday, the city's new managing director, Loree Jones,
showed up and told the group to move the program elsewhere. The city
in recent months has begun to discourage outdoor feeding of homeless
people along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and in JFK Plaza.
Veronica Joyner, the charter school's chief executive officer, said
police showed up a short time later and ordered the group to disperse,
prompting 13-year-old Karima Mims-DeWitt to fearfully ask: "Are we
going to go to jail for giving food to the homeless?" ..........
- Prev by Date: Re: A Long Time Ago, in a AGR far, far, away...
- Next by Date: Re: A Long Time Ago, in a AGR far, far, away...
- Previous by thread: Berries of Peace (a Cherokee Indian legend)
- Next by thread: The Official Shoe Shine Boy now Does ''True Confessions"