Re: a word from tom

Traveler wrote:
Terry Richards wrote:
spiritrising wrote:
tom is traveler, holy is grnwood.

i can't help but think tom's experience might be do to an entitlement
thing...just a nudge but i bet if he just chilled folks would be more
than willing to help. he seems rather assertive and well, i might be all
together wrong

/|\

As I posted before - I had lots of offers of help - rainbow is kind.

There was one kind brother who wrote a long post before the gathering
on the CALM list (I think) about how us disabled folk should go about
empowering ourselves - I laughed before I became insulted at his
arrogance and condecension.

But your post does bring up the real nature of the problem and the lack
of understanding that is the heart of the moral and ethical problem
often discussed about the disability community and the rainbow.

Access is not an entitlment - it is a CIVIL RIGHT (derived from
constituitional rights) and was codified as such in 1990 with the ADA.

Not an entitlement - a civl right. Big difference. I am assertive
about my civil rights. I have yet to understand why others in Rainbow
aren't assertive of my civil rights. Disability rights are your civil
rights too.

glad you went and enjoyed yourself, tom. during the few 'roadblock'
days before the gathering proper i couldn't help but imagine *two*
roadblocks there instead. the reports for the courthouse of a disabled
man being barred entry from the courthouse bathroom also brought the
issue to my mind.

i will ask you what i ask another poster here when they ask; why isn't
rainbow helping, or doing something towards, 'such-n-such' cause,
(which when thought about should be universal to all.)

what do you want to see everyone else do? what is your vision. what do
you want or expect from everyone?

the gathering itself has enough on it's plate, it is what it is once a
year. the most that can be hoped for is to influence the *individuals*
attending to open their minds to different causes while there, rather
than visions of the gatherers forming under a banner for such-n-such
rights the rest of the year.

taken from the www.welcomehome.org site:

"Rainbow Family of Living Light Unofficial Home Page

Some say we're the largest non-organization of non-members in the
world. We have no leaders, and no organization. To be honest, the
Rainbow Family means different things to different people. I think it's
safe to say we're into intentional community building, non-violence,
and alternative lifestyles. We also believe that Peace and Love are a
great thing, and there isn't enough of that in this world. Many of our
traditions are based on Native American traditions, and we have a
strong orientation to take care of the the Earth. We gather in the
National Forests yearly to pray for peace on this planet."
-

i know, i know, you've read this, many have, but this is why there is
no great group force to rally behind other than the gathering itself.
that is not to say the individuals within are callous and blind to the
world around, rather, the gathering is a time to come together, to
pray.

action is the other 50 weeks of the year, yet, there is no formal
'group' acting then, but an infinite web of connections of
*individuals* doing their own thing.

i'm sure you influenced many this year, even if in only small ways,
"the butterfly effect" can carry those baby steps of awareness in the
individual into the full light of day for all in time. trying to
force action, or expect it, in such a situation can only lead to
frustration or worse.

lovin' you,
l,l,&l,
quiet,..