Re: After the flood, there were Rainbows - Dallas Morning News - October 23, 2005

Dear Filepe, Gainesville and Micanopy are proud to know you, Starshine
and Faith and Micanopy crew
Sanity RE wrote:
> [...]
> > to the kitchen, and we had to move it."
> >
> > Rainbows proudly note the food they cook is donated, fresh and often
> > organic. Yet, they cringe at any suggestion they are organized,
> > competitive or otherwise structured. "We're not really an organization;
> > we're just people," says Richard Rawski, 49, an organic apple farmer
> > from Wisconsin, wearing a bright yellow T-shirt, purple sweatpants and
> > sandals.
> >
> > The Rainbow Family itself defies easy description. The group has a Web
> > site (www.welcome home.org), but no leaders or spokesman. The Rainbow
> > Web site cautions: "It is a long-standing Rainbow Family consensus that
> > nobody has ever, or ever will, represent the Rainbow Family."
> >
> > However, Rainbows acknowledge some common characteristics: They are
> > pro-environment, accept alternative lifestyles, believe in nonviolence
> > and worship God, whose definition is left open to interpretation. They
> > advocate health and hygiene.
> >
> > Diners are asked to wash their hands in portable foot-pump-operated
> > sinks. The Rainbows encourage peaceful dialogue and communal gatherings.
> > Their tented dining room in Mississippi - dubbed "The Waveland Cafe" -
> > is an example.
> >
> > "It was good to see the police and the firefighters sit down with people
> > from the community," says Mr. Chavez.
> >
> > Since 1972, Rainbow "tribes" around the country have gathered during the
> > first week of July for prayer meetings and fellowship at various
> > national parks.
> >
> > "We try to be the true ideal of a hippie," Mr. Rawski says. That ideal
> > includes freedom from material values and a "9-to-5 job.' "
> >
> > Mr. Chavez rejects any perception that Rainbows practice "free love."
> >
> > "We are not here to fornicate. We are God-loving people," he says. "We
> > are here to serve."
> >
> > Near the entrance to the park, the Louisiana state flag hangs next to a
> > rainbow flag of equal size. They are strung together between two crape
> > myrtles. A kitchen wish list is taped across a tree, near the buffet
> > serving tables.
> >
> > "I'm very impressed by the whole situation here," says Gwendolyn
> > Ciniard, 55, a New Orleans painter who sells her works on Bourbon
> > Street. "I had the chicken and rice and squash and apple. It was good.
> > The pasta I wasn't too happy about."
> >
> > She politely adds that New Orleanians are Epicurean critics, then sighs
> > wearily.
> >
> > "In times like these, it's great to have a little sense of community."
> >
> > Allen Johnson Jr. is a freelance writer based in New Orleans.

  • After the flood, there were Rainbows - Dallas Morning News - October 23, 2005
    ... Nobody speaks for the Rainbows, the Rainbow Web site says, including Twilha Deer, whose pantomime and religious dancing provide entertainment outside her group's dining hall for hurricane victims in Waveland, Miss. ... The Rainbows are feeding folks in New Orleans as well. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: After the flood, there were Rainbows - Dallas Morning News - October 23, 2005
    ... Rainbow News Service wrote: ... > SOUTHWESTNEW ORLEANS - It was like two rescue ships passing at noon. ... > outside her group's dining hall for hurricane victims in Waveland, ... > Katrina struck on Aug. 29, a police spokesman confirmed. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Too late..for me to verify.
    ... > The only kitchen serving fresh, ... > the people of New Orleans east of Canal St. is being ... > Rainbow Family of Living Light', ... > kitchen over a month ago serving three meals a day to ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: The Forming of the New Waveland Café
    ... > setting and dealing with creating refugee camps it was Rainbow. ... > come out of their communities to feeding areas. ... He had set up in Waveland MS. ... > town, making poor and rich equals in the struggle for basic food, shelter, ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: The Forming of the New Waveland Café
    ... > The Forming of the New Waveland Café ... > from my Rainbow friends suggesting we go down and feed ... > not come out of their communities to feeding areas. ... basic food, ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)