Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?

Connie wrote:
> [...]
> > policy of torture but by a mid level superior and munipulative lover
> > she deserves no sympathy. Each person is responsible for their actions
> > and all those who got conned into this war have my sympathy. Some not
> > much sympathy, some much more. Lynndie seems to me to be about the
> > biggest dupe of the bunch, of all the few hundred thousand who have
> > served there.
> >
> > You might want to consider if Lynndie could fit somewhere into the
> > defense you used for the poor conned soldiers murdering Iraqi
> > civilians.
> >

> > > That someone decided to not make that effort and blindly
> > > follow another's lead, even, especially, the government's is not
> > > absolution from responsibility for their actions. Its not my job to
> > > condenm another but I will not pretend that being duped makes one's
> > > errors OK. Hopefully they, as I try to, learn from their mistakes.
> >

> > hmmmm of course you dont take into consideration the age group the
> > military targets for recruitment. kids ... teenaged male kids, whose
> > physical brains have yet to develope the ability to discern between
> > rational action and a rash actiion, whose desire to prove their manhood
> >
> > and be accepted by a peer group is paramount. it's not like the
> > military seeks to recruit those over 25 yrs of age. but tough beans for
> >
> > them, apparently. innocence is no excuse.
> >

> > > Those in Vietnam and in Iraq were and are not
> > > performing a service though they may have been fooled into believing
> > > they are. Its sad to see someone fooled but that doesn't make it a
> > > service. What exact service would you thank a returning Iraq vet for?
> > > Thank you for believing the lies of the government? Though the
> > > information was not very difficult to find, thank you for not bothering
> > > to educate yourself?
> >

> > um ... when GW and his goons were gearing up for the war on Iraq where
> > exactly was this accurate info to be found?
> >
> > > Thank you for the part you played in killing
> > > 100,000 innocent Iraqis and the hundreds of thousand more that will
> > > suffer or die from depleated uranium caused cancers and birth defects?
> >

> > i get the impression that once youre in the middle of the mess you're
> > looking out for your survival and the survival of your fellow soldiers
> > and the military conditioning you've received undermines any moral code
> >
> > your mama instilled. but that doesnt matter does it? the state of
> > mind of the individual soldier isnt the point. is it? how young the
> > mind, how deeply brainwashed and conditioned isnt up for consideration.
> >
> > is it? shoulda known better than to join the National Guard (weekend
> > warriors) or join the military (in the hopes of an education)in the
> > first place. tsk tsk on those immoral poor kids who viewed the
> > military as the only way out of their poverty.
> >

> Just what is your point here thistle? Are you saying you no longer believe
> that "the soldiers had no right to expect to be thanked for their service
> and were responsible for the atrocities they commited"?

I don't see how you got that, its not what I'm saying.

> It would be interesting to know exactly what I did say so I could ascertain
> just how much you might've twisted it. Can you point me to the date and
> subject line? Maybe I can find this conversation myself.

All you said was "I agree with lots you say on here, thistle, but I'm
with Ayin on this one", so I can't be sure to what degree you agree
with her posts in the thread. But you were kind enough to add that you
agree with me a lot. Hope that hasn't changed. (laughing) Actually the
best way I've found to find a thread is to put a phrase in search this
group or advanced search. Date is Aug 13 2:02 pm Sorry I didn't more
clearly label. I thought Ayin would remember the thread and fit it
together but I forgot that others probably wouldn't.

> At any rate, you also seem to be saying that once something is said, a
> person is not allowed to ever say anything that might contradict her/his
> original statement. In other words, never change, never grow, never learn
> new things.
> Not that that's what happened in this case. I don't know yet,
> since I've no idea what you're referring to.
>
> But if you are implying that, you've broken your own rule, then.

  • Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?
    ... had a conversation where I said that the soldiers had no right to ... Seems if "kids" are conned ... and all those who got conned into this war have my sympathy. ... > absolution from responsibility for their actions. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?
    ... > had a conversation where I said that the soldiers had no right to ... Seems if "kids" are conned ... > and all those who got conned into this war have my sympathy. ... >> absolution from responsibility for their actions. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?
    ... > had a conversation where I said that the soldiers had no right to ... Seems if "kids" are conned ... well because its all the higher ups that are to blame. ... >> absolution from responsibility for their actions. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)