Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?

<michael_thistle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1128279747.368993.285150@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> [...]
>
> "i don't blame the waitress for serving crappy
> food. i leave a tip anyway since she wasnt the one cooking."
>

> But when some kid gets conned not just by the leaders who pursue a
> policy of torture but by a mid level superior and munipulative lover
> she deserves no sympathy. Each person is responsible for their actions
> and all those who got conned into this war have my sympathy. Some not
> much sympathy, some much more. Lynndie seems to me to be about the
> biggest dupe of the bunch, of all the few hundred thousand who have
> served there.
>
> You might want to consider if Lynndie could fit somewhere into the
> defense you used for the poor conned soldiers murdering Iraqi
> civilians.
>

> > That someone decided to not make that effort and blindly
> > follow another's lead, even, especially, the government's is not
> > absolution from responsibility for their actions. Its not my job to
> > condenm another but I will not pretend that being duped makes one's
> > errors OK. Hopefully they, as I try to, learn from their mistakes.
>

> hmmmm of course you dont take into consideration the age group the
> military targets for recruitment. kids ... teenaged male kids, whose
> physical brains have yet to develope the ability to discern between
> rational action and a rash actiion, whose desire to prove their manhood
>
> and be accepted by a peer group is paramount. it's not like the
> military seeks to recruit those over 25 yrs of age. but tough beans for
>
> them, apparently. innocence is no excuse.
>

> > Those in Vietnam and in Iraq were and are not
> > performing a service though they may have been fooled into believing
> > they are. Its sad to see someone fooled but that doesn't make it a
> > service. What exact service would you thank a returning Iraq vet for?
> > Thank you for believing the lies of the government? Though the
> > information was not very difficult to find, thank you for not bothering
> > to educate yourself?
>

> um ... when GW and his goons were gearing up for the war on Iraq where
> exactly was this accurate info to be found?
>
> > Thank you for the part you played in killing
> > 100,000 innocent Iraqis and the hundreds of thousand more that will
> > suffer or die from depleated uranium caused cancers and birth defects?
>

> i get the impression that once youre in the middle of the mess you're
> looking out for your survival and the survival of your fellow soldiers
> and the military conditioning you've received undermines any moral code
>
> your mama instilled. but that doesnt matter does it? the state of
> mind of the individual soldier isnt the point. is it? how young the
> mind, how deeply brainwashed and conditioned isnt up for consideration.
>
> is it? shoulda known better than to join the National Guard (weekend
> warriors) or join the military (in the hopes of an education)in the
> first place. tsk tsk on those immoral poor kids who viewed the
> military as the only way out of their poverty.

Just what is your point here thistle? Are you saying you no longer believe
that "the soldiers had no right to expect to be thanked for their service
and were responsible for the atrocities they commited"?

It would be interesting to know exactly what I did say so I could ascertain
just how much you might've twisted it. Can you point me to the date and
subject line? Maybe I can find this conversation myself.

At any rate, you also seem to be saying that once something is said, a
person is not allowed to ever say anything that might contradict her/his
original statement. In other words, never change, never grow, never learn
new things. Not that that's what happened in this case. I don't know yet,
since I've no idea what you're referring to.

But if you are implying that, you've broken your own rule, then.

  • Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?
    ... had a conversation where I said that the soldiers had no right to ... Seems if "kids" are conned ... and all those who got conned into this war have my sympathy. ... > absolution from responsibility for their actions. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?
    ... >> had a conversation where I said that the soldiers had no right to ... >> and all those who got conned into this war have my sympathy. ... >>> absolution from responsibility for their actions. ... teenaged male kids, whose ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Feeling sorry for Lynndie?
    ... > had a conversation where I said that the soldiers had no right to ... Seems if "kids" are conned ... well because its all the higher ups that are to blame. ... >> absolution from responsibility for their actions. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)