Re: Very young kids, and WOW

On 4/14/2011 5:02 AM, SF wrote:
Op 14-4-2011 10:52, ToolPackinMama schreef:
Enough with the "some kids are more mature than some of the adults who
play".

People who are at least teenagers have some defense. It's not just life
experience; it's a matter of biological brain development.

Very young children are particularly vulnerable to the addictive allure,
since their brains and bodies and LIVES are completely immature, no
matter how polite and technically able they are.

wow does not only have negative effects on children. I know a kid that
wanted to learn to read and write because he wanted to read the
questlines and chat with other people. Now at age 6 he is far beyond
other kids his age with writing and reading. Still in principle I agree
with you. The game is too addictive for kids.

Well... yeah.

You know, if WOW could be credited with helping with reading and writing skills, then why are so many chat trolls so obviously illiterate?

How's this for an explanation: 6 year olds will learn to read no matter what they are reading. You just got to hand them something they want to read.

BTW, I could read and write at 4, and I am no MOZART. This was long before computer games existed. My parents taught me by reading to me and working with me.

  • Re: What made you stay here?
    ... I couldn't make myself continue reading. ... Worse than no editing, and publishers not caring, is when a writer ... decides correct spelling and grammar no longer matter. ... The editor changed it to "delicacies," and I didn't catch ...
    (rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs)
  • Re: Its A Done Deal
    ... Is this instance knowledge is fungible and what he knew before reading ... the Ferrari documents cannot be separated nor distinguished from what ... McLaren are not responsible for the private actions of an employee in his own time, no matter what those activities might be and no matter whether they might have a bearing on his day job or not. ... ROFL. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: Another huge bug: DECwindows MAIL: include file
    ... It does not matter if you are in mail ... WRITE ALLOW READ they the ability to open the file for reading is there. ... > But if it is safe to TYPE the file, if it is safe for TPU to read the file, ... this would suggest that VMS is failing to prevent TYPE ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Jack LaLanne is dead at 96
    ... everything right you are still going to die someday. ... Don Miguel Ruiz tapes and books are a favorite of Ms.Fit and she got me ... I just finished reading, "Programming of Life" by Donald E. Johnson. ... Schroedinger, etc. and their writings about a god, spirit and matter. ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: Tutorial creates confusion about slices
    ... Most people reading a tutorial are aware that they are being given the ... knowledge they need to put the subject matter to immediate use, ... of the latter than of the former type and that is why I would ...
    (comp.lang.python)