Re: Mage Advice

Chizel wrote:
> Through use of it I have found that this spell [pyroblast] can only really be used
> effectivly when soloing.

I agree.

> Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
> the mob knows you are there
> because of the casting time & cooldown time.
>
> This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
> out of range 5 seconds into casting,
> and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
> spell casts.
>
> Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?

I've got a 34 mage currently grinding in Thousand Needles. I'm
experimenting with an Arcane/Fire build, but I put all of my initial
points into Fire (Pyroblast among them), and have just recently started
building my arcane tree.

After much experimentation (with the caveat that I've done very little
PvP with this mage), I've decided that there are only two practical
uses for Pyroblast:

1. As an opening shot with very slow or stationary mobs. You have
already observed this. (Also it's not that much more powerful than my
regular fireballs right now, so I rarely use it for this purpose
anyway.)
2. As vengeance for when you're dealing with a mob and another one
(usually a bird) sneaks up behind you and starts nibbling at your neck.

Here's how the second case works. While engaging mob A, mob B attacks
you from behind. You polymorph mob B and finish off mob A. Then you
immediately run a safe distance and start casting Pyroblast on poor ol'
mob B. The mob usually unsheeps just long enough to see the flaming
boulder that's about to smack him in the face. It's quite satisfying.

> My second question is.
>
> Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.
>
> I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
> as the timer still appears to be counting down.
>
> Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
> waiting before you start taking damage?

A good question, and there doesn't seem to be a way... I don't know of
any mods that do this either. (Also, doesn't the shield just wear off
after the damage is absorbed? I don't remember...) I don't see much
use for mana shield except in very dire situations when you need to get
away fast (in combination with blink)... I wouldn't use it when going
into battle- only when trying to get away. If you invest in the arcane
tree you can eventually decrease the amount of mana per damage drained,
but it still only serves as an escape hatch- not a combat buff- in my
opinion.

> As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
> trees and which one is better
>
> I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

At the early levels very many mages invest points in fire, so you don't
necessarily have to respec regardless of your ultimate build. I've
chosen Arcane/Fire (front-loading the fire, as mentioned) because I've
heard it's best suited to PvP... and I want to get some Battlegrounds
in once I get to 40.

Here are my currently invested points so far, at level 34:

Fire Talents (20 points)
# Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
# Impact - 5/5 points
# Ignite - 5/5 points
# Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
# Pyroblast - 1/1 points
# Incinerate - 2/2 points

Arcane Talents (5 points)
# Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points

  • Re: did mages get nerfed?
    ... with arcane the melee people always out DPS me. ... Arcane is the weakest spec now. ... I've tried my frost spec (which I use for soloing) in instances and it's horrible. ... What I mean by that was that my mage was the first toon I leveled, so in the first few weeks after release, with the multitudes of people questing, in order to grab a mob I fired an ice lance or something at them to grab them before someone else did, and was low on health, but knew what the respawn rate was and wanted to grab it while I could, and ended up embarrassing myself. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: What will happen in Patch 4.0
    ... Yes, a lvl 81 mob should be tougher than an 80 mob, nobody argued that. ... But what their arguement doesn't deal with is, after leveling up, with my crit and haste taking a huge nosedive, it actually made it take longer to kill level 80's when I was level 82 than it was when I was 80. ... Similar to the current WoLK where a frost mage was better for solo levelng due to survivability vs. an Arcane, but Arcane was superior in groups for dps... ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Affliction warlock
    ... Open with Shadow Bolt, it does the most damage per hit, and has the longest ... so rather use a shorter cast time. ... wanted to use shadowbolt as more than just filler I wouldn't be ... like having the cast time ones over with before the mob reaches me, ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Changing Mage from Fire to Frost
    ... pure Fire, putting all the points I can in Fire, and that works too. ... damage and movement-control bonuses. ... the wonderful Pyroblast becomes essentially useless due to the ... the reason you go so far into Arcane is to get ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Mage Arcane Leveling
    ... The theorycraft says deep fire does more damage in raids. ... I will use Arcane Blast. ... Karazan and the mage killers up in netherstorm. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)