Re: What's with IGN's Final Fantasy XIII review score?

On Mar 9, 8:00 pm, Mark Morrison <bl...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 16:48:07 -0800 (PST), The alMIGHTY N

<natle...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 reviews of Final Fantasy XIII were
essentially the same. However, despite the very explicit and clear
message at the end that the PlayStation 3 version had superior
graphics and the recommendation that dual console gamers should go
with the PlayStation 3 version *and* despite the 0.5 additional points
in the graphics score for the PlayStation 3 version, the final score
is exactly the same for both versions. This makes absolutely no sense.

I'd imagine because each game is rated on it's own merits, compared to
other games on that system.

Marking down the 360 version for lesser graphics makes no sense -
otherwise any game on all 3 platforms, including the PC, the PC would
have to score higher because generally, it'll have better graphics.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it applies in this
scenario. The review was conducted by a single editor - Ryan Clements
- and uses the same exact text (including the "if you have both
systems, get the PS3" bit). The other three score categories were
exactly the same - what are the chances of that if a comparison is
done to different software libraries?

If IGN only employed whole numbers, I could understand... but the
chances of both getting an 8.9 under the conditions you describe are
pretty slim.
.