Re: Update Re: Hope you didn't buy a launch PS3

In article <b6e15309-5356-41dd-ab6c-9299e7eca185@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, The alMIGHTY N <natlee75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:21=A0pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonah Falcon <jonahny...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What's apparently wrong, as speculation goes, is when the internal
GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to =
2/29,
at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't=
do
because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010. Everything sta=
rted
to collapse around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT.

Or, to put it in laymans terms, apparently Sony's programmers have failed
to do what countless students of introduction to programming have been do=
ing
as their first class assignment for the past 40-odd years - write a progr=
am that
can determine if a given year is a leap year or not.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit four 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009=
were
odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the firs=
even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-l=
evel
math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009
successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part =
I'm
less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play a=
some point).

If that's really the algorithm the (older) PS3s use to determine leap
year, I better see heads on pikes.

Just about anyone who has EVER taken a programming class in the past ~40
years has coded "The leap year problem". =A0It's practically the first th=
ing
students are asked to write after "Hello world."

Really? I took quite a few programming classes in the late 90's and
"the leap year problem" was not a part of the curriculum. I'll take a
wild stab and say that this was because it's a F***ING WASTE OF TIME
for anyone learning to program?

Was there anything being taught around that time about the feared 2K bug???
Just wondering how freaked out prgrammers of that time were about that non
issue.

It's like having
professional baseball player not knowing the infield rule.

Not at all. It's simple logic so there isn't even a need to define a
pattern for this problem.

  • Re: Update Re: Hope you didnt buy a launch PS3
    ... It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, ... to do what countless students of introduction to programming have been doing ... 2008 was an even, and a leap year. ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Wanted: Beginning Robotics Class
    ...  I don't have any experience in Robotics but since I teach ... programming they thought I could handle it (*rolling eyes*). ...
    (comp.robotics.misc)
  • Re: Update Re: Hope you didnt buy a launch PS3
    ... It's either not rolling, or rolling to = ... when programming was still a relatively immature discipline and the ... problem in legacy systems... ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Update Re: Hope you didnt buy a launch PS3
    ... It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, ... to do what countless students of introduction to programming have been doing ... 2008 was an even, and a leap year. ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Thank you everyone
    ... We're now rocking & rolling with Project, ... and we're back to programming. ... Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm ...
    (microsoft.public.project)