On Feb 18, 5:04 pm, "Tom" <no...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Trevor Smithson" <trevor_smith...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:2fsqn5p5nh9cp647ro0l4vhjuedf2lsvjt@xxxxxxxxxx

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:15:21 -0500, "Tom" <no...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>"Trevor Smithson" <trevor_smith...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Neither does Ford or Toyota when a used car is sold privately. >>> Neither
>>> does an author when a book is sold. Etc.

>>That's a very poor analogy as most people who sell their cars used are
>>going
>>to buy another car for themselves. I am not going to sell my games used >>to
>>just go out and buy the same game again retail.

> Huh? Same game? I can sell a car, and buy a different car from a
> different manufacturer. Or buy something else entirely. Or burn the
> money. Whatever.

Again, your initial analogy doesn't work as I already pointed out. It
doesn't matter if you buy a different car, you're still buying a new car if
you sell your older one.

Unless you're selling your car because you're moving to the city where
you don't need one... or you had two cars and you figured you only
needed one because the other was just guzzling gas or a waste of
insurance payments... or any other number of reasons...

It's pretty likely that when you're selling an old game, you're
already playing a new game you just bought or taking the money you
make from selling an old game and putting it toward a new game.

Since everyone is focused on specifically the GameStop second hand
market, the likelihood that you're selling a new game without the
intention of buying a new one is low. If I sell a game on eBay, I
might not ever use that money to buy a new game. If I sell to
GameStop, I'm probably looking to take advantage of the credit bonuses
or coupons that give me more bang for the buck when I put it towards a
new game (or used game) purchase.

We could make all kinds of conditions here, but your point is noted.

> Same with a game. Sell the old one, buy a different one from a
> different manufacturer. Or do whatever with the money.

What does your sale of your used game that you bought retail have to do with
EA charging those who bought a used game a fee to access the content you got
that came with the initial retail sale, regardless of whether you bought an
entirely different game? How does buying a totally different game make the
used game you sold somehow get a free pass from this access fee? This also
has nothing to do with comparison to the resale of a car.

> It's the same thing, it's my property, and the manufactuer should have
> no interest in the matter once I've bought something.

They don't care, and that's not at issue. You do not own the game in its
entirety, you just own the disc that has the game on it and you paid money
to be able to play it as much as you want. You cannot copy it and sell it,
because you don't own the game itself. The software developer doesn't care
what you do with the disc as long as you are not violating copyright laws.
If you want to break it, feel free.

If you sell the game used to someone else, you're not violating any
copyright laws...

I didn't say it was, I only pointed out how he say he owns the game as the actual digital stuff on the physical disc; he does not. He can sell it as he sees fit. The only thing I pointed out as a copyright violation was pretty clear, you cannot make copies of the game and sell it. You buy a game, the only thing you can do with it is play as you own the disc for that usage.

  • Re: NCAA 07 dissapointing
    ... First of all, it's a football game. ... They buy up franchises and studios, ... They "sell product". ... When they bought off the rights to own football in gaming, ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: What have you been playing in MAY?
    ... Sin Episodes: Emergence: Bought this on a whim one evening after work ... the atmosphere of the game. ... a clear head-on shot at the car, as it initially approached the book ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: What should I do with this High Speed?
    ... I bought it for $600, and the board work it needs will run me about ... If you bought it because you like it, fix it up the way you want it ... If you bought it to flip it, do the board repairs first so the game is ... allow you to sell the game as working to someone else who can decide ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: FS Junkyard in Pittsburgh $2300
    ... telling me that I am not allowed to sell it for a profit. ... and you don't even want the game so it is actually only worth the next ... cause i bought it for 1851 and I am selling it for more than I bought ... that this is just a hobby, can you believe I emailed cliffy, we all ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: what pins to get rid of to finish car ?
    ... my $ that i paid him to restore car, question is i have been pricing ... I would sell the Indiana Jones and The Stern ... If you price ... Indiana Jones Proto - I am not a fan of the game play of this ...
    (rec.games.pinball)